Meet You There - Chapter 45

Chapter 45

I was up bright and early with Bennett the next day, as he had to be at Renaissance at 9A.M. I made him breakfast - eggs and toast - while he took a shower, then he ate quickly, kissed me and rushed out the door.

  I waited around all morning, feeling like a lost puppy. I missed him. I hope he was doing okay. I couldn't wait to see him again. The way I felt like I was tied to him now was overwhelming. 

   I was wrapped in a blanket - because Caleb kept the apartment cold - watching a movie when my dad called. I was just thinking about turning it off and getting ready to go meet Bennett at the school. It was a bit after noon, and I knew he was done at 1P.M.

   "Hi, Dad," I answered, pressing speakerphone as I put my phone down.

   "Hey, sweetie, how was New York?" he asked cheerfully, his voice filling the room.

   "It was great," I told him, then added, "I loved it."

   "Wonderful. Oh, I'm so glad everything is going so well for you," he went on.

   I stood up and walked across the room, then grabbed a banana off the counter. "Yeah. Thanks."

   "I was thinking about your birthday," he told me, which made my chest feel heavy suddenly.

   My birthday was in a week and a half; I was turning eighteen. The only plans I had were dinner with Caleb, Fox and Bennett. I just wanted to spend the day with Bennett, really.

   "Okay?" I asked, peeling the banana.

   "It's a Friday, right? So I could take the day off and come visit for the weekend!" he went on.

   I froze, my heart racing. My dad and I had been close, especially when I lived in San Diego. But it had been almost a year since I'd seen him. I felt like he was more like someone I used to know.

   "Oh, uh..." I couldn't think of the right words.

   "Unless you already have plans?" he asked.

   I didn't, really. But I liked the idea of just going for dinner, and being with Bennett. My dad would ruin all of that. I didn't really want him to come and interfere with my life here. Did that make me a horrible daughter?

   "I'm sorry, I do. My boyfriend and I-"

   "Of course. I should have figured," he interrupted. "It's just that I feel so bad about missing your graduation."

   "Dad, it's okay. I'm good. You can come visit me in New York once I get settled. Okay?" I suggested.

   "Right, yes. Let's do that," he said quickly.

   "Great. I have to go, but I will call you soon?" I finished, now slipping on my shoes.

   "Yes, of course. Love you, Iris."

   "You too."

Bennett was our front of the school, standing with a guy who I remembered to be on the wrestling team with him, back in the fall. I didn't know his name. When he saw me, Bennett high fived the guy and then started towards me.

   "Hey," he smiled. "You came to meet me." It was like he wasn't surprised at all.

   I nodded. "How was it?"

   Bennett pulled me in to kiss me and then linked his hand into mine as we started walking. "It was okay. Turns out Ashton there failed a couple classes last semester and has to redo them to graduate, too."