Meet You There - Chapter 33

Chapter 33

"So, I was thinking maybe you'd like to go to the studio with us tomorrow?" Caleb asked me, later that evening.

   I barely even heard him. I was in my own world, worrying about what had happened to Bennett. He still hadn't answered a call or text. I was assuming the worst at this point. I was mentally exhausted but also completely wired. It was late, and I was just on the couch, feeling like an empty shell.

   "Iris?" Caleb spoke again, from across the room.

   "Yeah, sorry."

   "Did you hear me?"

   "Yeah... I don't know. Tomorrow might be..." I didn't know what to say.

   "Are you okay?" he asked. "Where's Bennett?"

   My heart pounded against my chest. "No, I'm not really okay," I answered, without thinking. "Goodnight, I have to go lay down."

   I stood and started walking down the hallway.

   "Iris!" Caleb's voice sounded panicked, but I ignored him.

   "Sorry," I repeated, not looking back.

   BENNETT GOT SET UP. HE GOT BUSTED DURING A DEAL. HE'S IN JAIL AND MY PARENTS ARE TRYING TO DO WHAT THEY CAN. This text came in from Kelly, an hour later.

   I had been trying to sleep, but couldn't. I was too nervous. I started crying immediately. I shouldn't have let him go. I should have told him to forget about the stupid deal. Now, he was in trouble again and I was going to lose him.

   JAIL? I sent back, in disbelief.

   HE'S 18, SO THIS IS NOT LIKE LAST TIME. DID YOU KNOW HE WAS STILL DEALING? Kelly wanted to know.

   HE TOLD ME HE WAS DONE WITH THAT.

   YEAH, THAT'S WHAT HE TOLD ME, TOO. I'LL TEXT YOU TOMORROW IF I KNOW ANYTHING, she finished.

   I felt like I couldn't breathe. I'd yelled at him and left him there to go see Maribella. He went to do the deal and got busted, while I was out having fun and walking around the mall. That was why he hadn't texted me back.

   I wanted to wake up the next day to messages saying it was all a joke and that Bennett was fine. But the only message I had on my phone was from Kelly.

   MY PARENTS GOT HIM OUT ON BAIL, BUT HES ON PROBATION AND HAS TO GO RIGHT TO REHAB. IN HARRISTON.

   I was still in bed when I read the text, but I wanted to scream. Everything had been going so well. We were supposed to go back to school the next day, together. And now he was just gone?

   HARRISTON, WHEN? I sent back after a few minutes of trying to compose myself.

   MY PARENTS ARE DRIVING HIM LATER TODAY. HE WANTS TO SEE YOU, Kelly sent back awhile later.

   I still couldn't get myself out of bed. WHERE IS HE?

   HE'LL BE HERE SOON TO PACK UP SOME STUFF TO BRING.

   I didn't reply to Kelly, but I got up and took a shower, then got dressed. An hour later, I was still waiting for another text from Kelly. I just wanted the okay to go and see Bennett. Luckily, Caleb was gone to work. He had left me a note saying there were bagels on the counter and to send him a message if I needed anything.

   It was almost noon before I got another text, and I ran across the living room to check it. I had just put a bagel into the toaster, as I opened the message.

   HEY. IM SO SORRY. COME DOWN TO MY APARTMENT? It was from Bennett.

   I just about ran out the door, and used the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator. He was in the hallway, wearing grey sweat pants and a white t-shirt, his hair messy. His eyes were red and tired looking, but he forced a smile when he saw me turn the corner.

   I fell into his arms right away. "I'm sorry I yelled at you yesterday," I whispered, taking a deep breath.

   "No, you are not sorry. You were right," he said, holding me tight against him. "I went to Stone's, but I told him to leave me alone. I said that I was out, for good. He didn't like that, as you'd expect, and he threatened me again. So, I took the weed, and went down to The Pod... but the cops showed up right as I was..."

   I pulled back a bit, to look at him. "You weren't going to do it?"

   Bennett shook his head. "I really wanted to be done with this."

   Tears filled my eyes, realizing what was actually happening. "I know."

   "Now, I'm on my way to rehab, again, and I probably won't graduate -"

   "What?"

   "The rehab centre in Harriston is a three month program. I will miss to much school, I'll have to repeat the semester." He was looking down at me, and I could tell he was trying to be strong. But he was broken.

   "I can't believe you're leaving," I said stupidly. "And, to Harriston."

   "I am so sorry, Iris. I just want to be with you."

   I couldn't stop the tears from coming then, and I realized how sad and angry I was. He was leaving, right when we were in a good place. We were done before we even started.

   "I don't want to be mad at you," I said, taking a step back.

   "But... you are?" he answered, tears coming down his cheeks, too.

   I couldn't hide it, so I nodded. I wanted to grab his hand and run. I wanted to go away with him, anywhere, and be together. At that moment, nothing else mattered - not school or college or Caleb. But it only lasted a second. I knew I couldn't change what had happened.

   Bennett grabbed for my hand instead. He pulled me close, so our bodies were touching again. He kissed my head.

   "Iris... I don't expect anything from you. Okay?" he whispered.

   Suddenly - before I could answer - the door to the apartment opened and his dad was standing there, inches from us.

   "Ben, get inside. Get your stuff together," he said sternly.

   I didn't move.

   "Yes, sir," Bennett answered, as the door closed again.

   But he tightened his grip on me.

   "What do you mean?" I asked. "You don't expect anything?"

   "I'm leaving for three months. I won't have my phone. Rehab is no joke," he told me. "I'm not even addicted to drugs, it's such bullshit. Anyway, I don't want you to waste your life, waiting for me."

   "Wasting my life?" I repeated. "You have been my life, Bennett. You are the only thing that means anything to me, right now."

   He wasn't even wiping away the tears that were pouring down his face. "I fucked this up. I'm so sorry. But you have to worry about getting into college, and getting out of here. You don't have to worry about me."

   "I love you," I whispered, realizing too late that we hadn't really gotten to that point yet.

   "Iris." Bennett looked terrified.

   I just stared at him, feeling hurt and disbelief. Then I pulled away, out of his arms and stepped back. He didn't love me? Why was I so stupid? I got myself so attached to him and now...

   "Don't go," he said, but it was barely audible.

   "You have to go," I told him, stepping back again. I was out of his reach now.

   "Iris, I love you so much. I'm sorry," he finished.

   I turned away and didn't look back, because I knew I couldn't watch him leave.