Meet You There - Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Maribella called the next day, and somehow we just ended up hanging out again regularly after that. She forgave me for ditching her, the day that Bennett called and I rushed out of the store. It seemed like she wasn't ready to let me go as a friend, and I was glad about that.

   It felt like I was on the up-spring, finally. Each day at passed was a day closer to having Bennett home. I met Maribella's boyfriend, Ryland, when we met for coffee later that week. He was nice and sweet to her, and I could tell she was just infatuated with him. I was happy for her.

   "You know, I didn't get it. Why you would stay with Bennett, even after he went to rehab," she told me, later that evening when we were back at my place. "But I do get it now. I understand it." She shrugged, like all was really forgiven.

   "Thanks. I mean, we just got really serious right before it happened, so it was hard to separate myself from it. I was really wrecked for a few weeks..."

   "I know. I'm sorry that I wasn't there for you," she told me, then smiled.

   "Well, it's not like I gave you much of an option," I smiled back.

   "True." She laughed, then shook her head.

   Being friends with Maribella was easy. I felt like we would be okay, even if we were far apart or went awhile without hanging out. It was just the kind of friends we were, and I was grateful for her.

   She had ended up applying to U of V afterall, since she and her sister, Abbie, were getting along better. Plus, Ryland went to school there. It was okay that she wasn't going to follow me to New York in the fall - somehow I just knew that we would be fine.

   The school days seemed to drag on, the week before Bennett was being released. When I got home, finally, on Friday, Caleb was sitting on the couch, holding an large envelope. Right away, I saw the nervous look on his face.

   I had been so preoccupied thinking about seeing Bennett again that I had put my college acceptances on the back burner. I knew they'd be coming soon. Kelly had gotten her acceptance package to the University of Pennsylvania the previous week. But now, suddenly, I felt terror. I didn't have a back up plan. I'd been thinking about this for seven months, and it was finally happening.

   "It's here," Caleb said solemnly, holding it up.

   I kicked off my shoes and stepped forward, then paused and took a deep breath. It was only my entire future in one envelope. When I sat beside him, he handed it to me. My heart felt like it might pound out of my body.

   I'd applied to both the Liberal Arts program and the Theatre Arts at NYU. I'd also applied for scholarships and grants and financial aid. I was ready for this huge next step in my life, but I still had to open the envelope.

   My hands were shaking.

   "Are you going to open it?" Caleb teased me.

   "Yeah. I'm just... this is my future. This is going to change everything."

   "Iris... I was eighteen when I first applied to Julliard, right out of high school. I didn't apply anywhere else because I was so sure of it. My mom sat with me as I opened it, and it was a no," he told me, shaking his head. It didn't make me feel better. "I was totally devastated, but I pushed myself to be better. I worked at Grandpa's store for almost two years, saved money, dated, partied, then reapplied and I got in."

   "Do you have regrets?" I asked him. 

   "No. My parents and your mom, and you, your dad... everyone was sad when I moved to New York. You were like, ten? I lived there for five years, and when I came back... everything was different here. But I had Fox. I might not have met her if I had gotten in at eighteen."

   "And now you're a famous rock band," I said, then laughed awkwardly.

   "I don't know about famous," he let himself laugh. "But what I mean is... you'll go anywhere you want, if you push yourself and work hard, even if it's not right now, you know?"

   I took another deep breath and ripped open the envelope, pulling out the stack of papers.

   "Iris Rothfield, we are happy to announce you have been accepted into New York University's Liberal Arts and Sciences program for the upcoming year..."

   Caleb jumped up, hollering in happiness. I read it again, and then a third time. I felt sudden relief.

   "You're going to New York!" he yelled, now hugging me hard.

   I had tears in my eyes because I couldn't believe it. Charlottesville had been an amazing step in my journey, but soon I'd be on my way to start my new life. But it hit me hard, suddenly, that it meant I'd be away from everyone who had taken care of me, cared about me, since I'd moved there.

   "I'm going to New York," I repeated.

   "I have to call Fox!" Caleb yelled, jumping up again to get his phone. "Call your dad!"

   I nodded at him, but all I could think about was Bennett. He would be home the next day and I'd have to tell him that I was leaving in September. We would have five months together, the rest of the school year, the summer, and then I'd be gone. It had taken us so long to get together, to get to a good place. There were so many ups and downs, including his current situation. I knew he would be happy for me, because that was how he was. But I wasn't sure if I'd be ready to leave him for good.

   I called my dad that night. He was so excited that he was crying. I had never seen him cry. I texted Maribella, too. It didn't feel real, but my dreams were actually coming true.

   Fox showed up awhile later, squealing and hugging me as soon as she came in.

   "We have to start planning our first trip to the city!" she yelled, as she loosened her grip on me. "Are you going to live in campus? It's so beautiful there."

   "I really don't... I don't know," I answered.

   Caleb laughed from across the room. "We have time to decide all that."

   We sat down to have a late dinner and while I felt happy and grateful, I also felt completely overwhelmed.

   "You're quiet," Caleb noticed. "You okay?"

   I took a bite of my chicken, blinking a few times. Hesitating. "Yeah, it's just... Bennett comes home tomorrow."

   Fox literally gasped. "Why didn't you say anything?"

   I took a deep breath. "I've been trying to prepare myself. It's... a lot. Finding out about New York and him coming back..."

   "Just take it one day at a time," Fox smiled at me, as my cell phone buzzed.

   MY MOM ASKED IF YOU WERE COMING TOMORROW? I SAID I'D ASK YOU. YOU PRESSURE. A text from Kelly.

   I had been spending time at school with her, but we hadn't talked about this yet. The day was finally almost here, but now I wasn't sure about going. The past month had been hard, but I'd busiest myself with school work, hanging out with Maribella, and trying to imagine how Bennett and I would be when we were together again.

   I THINK I'LL STAY HERE. WHAT TIME ARE YOU GOING? I sent back.

   EARLY. WE SHOULD BE BACK HERE IN THE AFTERNOON.

   OKAY. TEXT ON YOUR WAY BACK? I asked, but already felt bad for not wanting to go, to be there when he was released.

   I WILL, Kelly finished.