Chapter 3

Life carried on as usual for Zena. Zena, who occasionally thought about her interactions with Dr.Reid, was also furthering her students' education. Her lessons were always filled with fun-facts, laughter, and pictures. Her students absolutely adored her for her passion, hard work, and most of all for caring about them. She was the first professor they've ever had to check in, make sure they were okay, and treat them like people.

"Alright my bright pupils, that's all I have on the importance of hydrothermal vents for today," the doctor concluded her lesson, clapping her hands together. "Please remember to do your homework and upload the lab reports if you haven't already. Most importantly, be kind to one another. See you on Thursday!".

Spencer's life however was more hectic than he could have imagined. Four cases back-to-back, scoring himself less than 3 hours of sleep a night, and all while thinking about Zena. He wanted to call her and ask her to get coffee and talk some science. But with the crazy work schedule he had been facing, he found absolutely no time to give the beautiful scientist a call.

This case in particular had irked Spencer beyond belief. Someone had been killing in the same fashion as the Zodiac Killer, yet something was off, and he simply couldn't put a finger on it... until just now.

"Holy shit, he's playing a game of chess," Reid shouted, causing the entirety of the police station to turn their attention his way.

"Garcia, I need a favor. Cross check all of the Zodiac enthusiasts with chess players," Hotch said into the phone.

"Your wish is my command sir. It seems as though there are two men who fit your parameters. Both best friends who wrote about the Zodiac Killer in middle school, and get this: they are both ranked chess players with IQ's of 160. All of this information has been sent to your devices right...now." And with a click of a button, the agents had the information that they were looking for.

Just like that, the case was over and the team was on the jet flying home. Emily was talking with Rossi, Morgan had his headphones on listening to music, JJ was sleeping on the small couch, and Hotch was on the phone with his son Jack. Reid found that this would be the best time to give the woman occupying his mind a quick phone call. He rushed over to the small jet bathroom, locked the door, and dialed the number. As it rang, he could hear his heart in his ears, anxiety completely taking over his body. After a few short rings, a sweet voice filled his ears.

"Hello, this is Dr.Barbarage with the Oceanic and Environmental Department."

"Hi Dr.Barbarage, this is Dr. Spencer Reid. We met a few weeks ago," but he was cut off by Zena, absolutely thrilled to hear from him.

"Oh of course I remember your Spencer, and please call me Zena! It is so nice to hear from you. How are you?" She asked, with happiness laced in her tone.

Spencer smiled into the phone and chuckled slightly. "I'm good. Actually, I'm kind of exhausted I've officially worked 4 cases back-to-back. However, after I am fully rested, I would love to take you out for coffee and ask you a million questions about your work." He said with a confidence he didn't even know he had.

" That sounds absolutely wonderful," she said, a blush coating her face. "I am extremely busy currently, but I'll definitely find some time to squeeze you and your million questions into my schedule."

From the opposing line she could hear Spencer laugh heartily. "Alright, I look forward to it." He said, a smile forming from ear to ear.

"Me too," she said giddily. "Oh, Spencer. Do not text me until you're fully rested. I don't need an over tired FBI agent short circuiting during our date."

"I promise I will call after a good nights rest."

"Okay great. I'm walking into my marine ecotoxicology class with patiently waiting students. Im off to teach. We shall chat soon," she said slightly out of breath which Spencer recognized was her probably rushing throughout the halls of her university.

"Sounds good professor Barbarage. We will talk soon," he said with a sarcastic tone and a slight laugh to which he hung his phone up.

Spencer exited the bathroom with everyone doing the tasks from before he entered, everyone except for Hotch.

"So you have a date. Who's the lucky lady?" Hotch said, a miniature smile absorbing the serious mans face.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Reid said, his head tilted towards the ground anxiously rubbing his neck.

"Whatever you say Reid," the older agent responded.