Chapter 23

A.N- YOU GUYS 5K READS ARE YOU CRAZY? The love I have been receiving lately is so unexpected and heart warming.  I love you all, and thank you for coming on this wild journey with me. I would just like to say that if anyone needs to chat my DMs are always open to talk about whatever. Peace and love!

Time was moving in slow motion for the newlywed couple. Spencer couldn't focus properly knowing that he had quite literally ditched his wife at their wedding reception. Zena couldn't focus on synthesizing her syllabus because she missed her husband too much. Overall, they were a mess.

"Spence, listen to me please. Focus your energy on the case rather than calling to apologize me! The quicker it is done, the quicker you come home. I just want you here cuddling and reading to me," Zena explained through the phone. She thought she heard Spencer choking up on the other end of the phone. "You're right pretty girl. I promise you I'm going to solve this case as soon as possible and come home. I love you." Zena sighed as she heard him hang up the phone, being apart had never been a problem before, but apart the day of the wedding was incredibly difficult.

"Hey Z are you still running to Hopkins?" Delilah seemed to magically appear at the door of the room.

"Yeah I was thinking about it. I need to grab a specific textbook and make some copies of an old lesson plan. Do you want to come?"

Delilah began to nod eagerly. "Yes, I want to see! I've never been to your office and I want to see what a day in the life of Dr.Zena Reid looks like!"

The two took the 40-minute drive to Hopkins, however their conversation made it feel like 3 minutes. As they were walking into the office Zena was pouring her heart out to Delilah. "I don't know D, I love him more than anything. I'm worried that I was too harsh on him over the phone. He probably hates me," she said tearing up.

"Now Mrs.Reid, why would I ever hate you?" Zena whipped her head around to see her husband sitting cross legged in the comfy yellow chair, a book sprawled across his lap, another held open using only his left hand. Zena was beyond confused, staring blankly at her husband. Then she sprinted over to him and squeezed him In a hug.

"Spence, what the hell? I thought you were on a case?"

He smiled and put the book down, using both hands to grab his wife's face. "Do you really think I would waste any time on that case when I had someone as important as you to come home to?"

Zena giggled and leaned in to kiss him, a tear slipping out of her eye. "I'm so happy you're home," she whispered.

Delilah stood in the doorway admiring her best friend from afar. For the first time in what felt like forever Zena looked happy and healthy. She had been waiting 9 years to see Zena as happy as she was when she was 16, and now looking into the office of her best friend's dream job, she couldn't help but think that she may even be happier.

"Well, Delilah and I have been scheming, and I think it's time that you and I finally take that honeymoon we were supposed to go on 4 days ago," Spencer explained pulling out two tickets from his back pocket.

Zena snatched the tickets out of his hands, eyes opening wide. "We are going to France? Wait these tickets are for today! We can't leave today I don't have anything packed."

"You see my beautiful best friend, that is where you are wrong. If you were using your profiler super skills, you would have noticed that there was actually a completely packed suitcase in the trunk of the car."

Zena stared at her best friend in disbelief. "You are the best person in my life," she told Delilah. "Just don't tell Spencer that I know he would get so jealous," she said causing the girls to laugh.