Chapter 8

Today was a hard day for Zena. Besides the fact that she presented a lecture to the wrong class, spilled hot tea all over her favorite dress, and missed a meeting with a student that she had been planning for a week now, it was also the anniversary of her father's death. And as anyone could see from the mess of her day, she wasn't handling well. She didn't want to worry anyone, so she never told people about her father because she hated pity. It was hard enough living through the funeral and seeing the sorrow in everyone's eyes, she didn't need to relive that every time she told someone.

Spencer was worried about Zena. She hadn't been answering his phone calls or texts. At first he thought it was because she was busy, but after waiting off another seven hours and still not receiving a call he figured something was wrong.

"Hey Hotch, is it okay if I leave early today. I'm um.. not feeling well," Spencer said; however, it came out as more of a question than a statement.

"Yeah Reid of course. Is your girlfriend okay?" Hotch asked the younger agent, a knowing look on his face. The whole team knew that something had changed within the young agent's social life. Spencer had been acting different since he met Zena, he was happier, more outgoing, and oddly enough giving more fun facts about the atmosphere and ocean. While the rest of the team was unsure if it was romantic (excluding Rossi), Hotch remembered the little phone call Reid had made in the bathroom that one day after a long case.

"Um yeah that's the thing, I don't know. She was fine yesterday but I haven't heard once from her today so I'm gonna go surprise her at work and make sure everything is alright," Spencer explained. "Oh and Hotch, one more thing. Please don't tell the team, I will tell them eventually, but-" the young agent was cut off by his boss. "Reid, I won't tell anyone, I promise. I'm glad you've found someone outside of work that makes you happy. I'll see you tomorrow," Agent Hotchner said, and Spencer could have sworn he saw a small smile play at the man's lips.

The drive to Hopkins was longer than Spencer remembered. He spent the majority of the car ride going over conversations they have had in the past that could have led up to this point. However, after analyzing every word they've spoken to one another, he couldn't come up with a single reason that she would be upset with him. Maybe she was sick of him and didn't know how else to handle it but to ignore him?

When Spencer finally arrived at the school he parked and ran into the building. He knew that the best place to look and or wait for her was her office. However, when he arrived there it was not the sight he had expected to see. Zena was sat on the comfy yellow chair with her legs hugged up against her chest. Black eyeliner and mascara ran down her face along with tears, and she was trembling. Spencer stood at the door in shock for a moment, but soon after ran over to her side.

"Hey pretty girl, what's the matter?" Spencer gently hugged her and stroked her head, wondering what could have caused this.

"My dad," she started choking on her tears. "Today is the anniversary of my dad's death."

Spencer was stunned. He had a feeling that Zena's father wasn't in the picture from the way she avoided conversation about him; she never brought him up when talking about her family, never mentioned his job, birthday, or holidays spent with him. He had just assumed that her father walked out on the family like his had.

"Sweetheart, I had no idea. I am so sorry. Do you have any more classes scheduled for the day?" He wanted to get her out of her office and home where she could try to relax.

"I am done for the day but couldn't get myself to leave. I had a really bad day Spence." She looked up at him, her dark orbs pooling with tears. The sight crushed him.