Chapter 4

Texting was Spencer's number one flaw. Sure, he was a child prodigy, had 3 PHD's by the time he was 22 and has an IQ of 187. But texting, this was something that the genius could not grasp.

"Okay, I can do this," he muttered to himself, fidgeting slightly in his office chair. "I just need to type a casual sentence. I've got this."

And just like that, Mr.187's fingers started typing away trying to formulate the perfect text message in hopes of wooing the female doctor. After many trials and deletions Spencer synthesized a message that read:

'Hello, a fully rested Spencer is here to report that he is ready to take you out for that coffee. How does Saturday morning sound?'

And with the click of a button, it was sent. He anxiously threw his phone into the middle drawer of his desk and slamming it shut when a very recognizable voice caught him in the act.

"And what has you so angry at beautiful technology today Doctor of the Dark Ages?" Penelope asked with a hint of curiosity in her tone and eyes.

"The stupid battery is always dying on me. I am so sick of it," he said, eternally grateful that Penelope was a technical analyst and not a profiler.

"Oh, honey that is such an easy fix, we will just get you a new battery, or a phone that doesn't flip open."

"You know what Garcia; I would actually really love that. Would you be able to take me after work today?"

Garcia's face contorted into a look of utter surprise and confusion, but her tone was full of joy. "I don't know what's gotten into you Boy Wonder but I like it! Of course, I'll take you. Swing by my lair of knowledge when you're done for the day and we will go together." Garcia then skipped off to her tech station, leaving Spencer relieved that she bought his little fib.

After a few hours of paperwork and three cups of coffee, Spencer's phone vibrated, and the entirety of the desk shook in response. Without a moment's hesitation he pulled open the drawer and whipped his phone open taking his time to read the text he has been so anxiously waiting for.

'Well, hello Fully Rested Spence, glad to read that you're feeling better. Sorry for the delay, hectic morning of exam distributing and paper grading. Saturday morning sounds absolutely wonderful. Do you have any places in mind?'

Smiling, the man began typing away coming up with a message that read:

'No problem at all. I'm not sure how far you live from D.C but there's this great café combined with a bookstore. Best coffee I have ever had."

This time, Spencer barely had to wait at all for a response. It came back moments later saying:

'I actually live in D.C so that works out perfectly. You get extra points already for taking me to a place that has my two favorite things: coffee and books. I'll send you my address later. You can park at my place and we can walk there together.'

Spencer was elated, happily smiling at his phone. He simply texted her back telling her that he would see her at 10am, and closed the flip phone, probably using it for the last time before getting his new cell.

The rest of work seemed to fly by, and before Reid knew it, he was knocking on Garcia's office door, slowly opening it and entering.

"You ready to get digitalized, Boy Wonder?"

"As ready as I will ever be. Now let's go before I change my mind," he said while they both walked out of the room. The way to the store was filled with laughter and music, and lots of fun facts about technology. Before Spencer knew it, he had a smart phone in his hand, Garcia leaning over his shoulder, showing him how to use it.