Chapter 35

"So, what do we do?" Zena looked over to her boss for guidance.  "You've never steered me in the wrong direction before, Hotch.  Make the calls," she said to him.

"Wasn't he the reason you got shot?" Derek responded frantically, noticeably checking every corner of the room.

"Okay, that was an anomoly," Zena said calmly. "Hotch, you're the boss.  I trust your judgement.  I don't want you to consider that he's my brother, or that he was close with Spencer.  I want you to handle this you would with any of our other unsubs."

Aaron gave her a nod, indicating he was ready to take action.  "Garcia, I need you to try and find where in the building he may be.  Keep the phone charged and connected. He called her multiple times, he's most likely going to call again and I want to be able to track him when the time comes."  Garcia nodded, begging to deep dive into the GPS coordinates of Cyrus' phone, trying to find even the slightest variation to indicate a potential location within the building.

Hotch then looked over to Zena.  "I want you to try and meet up with him," Hotch told her, a stern look of certainty on his face.

"No, absolutely not," Spencer interjected, putting himself between Hotch and his wife.  "This is not how she dies, I will not let you put her in this situation again. Last time you did this she almost died," he said, his eyes beginning to water.  "She's not going through that again, I wont let her and I won't let you.  I'm going to 'accidentally bump into him in the hallway, say I came here to take her out to dinner and act shocked that Zena didn't tell me he was in town."

Hotch looked at him, taking a moment to run through the plan Spencer had proposed.  Spencer was right, the last time he sent her out on a mission like this she was nearly killed.  He remembered the pacing throughout the hospital waiting room. How grave the team was, the pale face and sunken eyes of Reid.  

Hotch nodded.  "Okay, we'll go with your plan.  You coincidentally bump into him, say whatever you need to say to insure that he feels he hasn't been caught.  Then you'll bring him to the office, where we will all be ready to arrest him and take him in for questioning."

After being wired and micked up, Spencer made his way out of the office and into the hallway.  Spencer quietly and skillfully weaved through the hallways like a labyrinth. Checking corners, looking into locked office's through the windows.

After five minutes of walking he heard a noise to the east and stopped for a moment. Taking a deep breath and checking his surroundings he made his way over to the noise, the unsub, his brother in law, rounding the corner he saw the lean build of Cyrus.

"Holy shit, Cyrus is that you, man?" Spencer feigned surprise.  the lean figure halted and turned slowly.

"Oh, whats up Spencer.  Long time no see."

"You're telling me! Zena didn't tell me you were in town! I'm here to take her for dinner, you should come. I want to hear how your thesis is going," Spencer said, pointing in the direction of her office.

Cyrus backed away a bit.  "Oh, I can't. I've got some stuff to figure out," he said fidgeting with something in his pocket.  Spencer knew that look, the look of someone who has been caught.  

"Well, I guess indian food will have to wait for another night," Spencer said loudly. The phrase the team had come up with if Spencer felt things were going wrong.  Within moments there were heavy feet echoing through the empty hallways, causing Cyrus to do what Zena thought was the unthinkable.

As Cyrus pulled out the gun, Spencer took a step back raising his hands.  "Cyrus, what are you doing?" Spencer asked innocently.  "I'm not here to hurt you, Zena and I both care about you a lot. You don't have to do this."

"You have no idea what I have to do, Spencer. She has to die," the younger brother explained.

"Cyrus, put the gun down. We will all talk, it will be okay," Spencer demanded.

"Drop your weapon," Morgan shouted from down the hall, Zena following behind him, her gun held high, confidence gleaning off of her. Spencer couldn't help but seeth with anger, after telling Hotch she shouldn't go, he let her anyways. His hand shook with rage as he watched the team barrel down the hallway.

"Zena, don't make me do it. Please don't make me do it," her brother pleaded, gun shaking in hand and tears streaming out of his emerald green eyes.

"You don't have to do anything, Cy. Take a breath and think about this. We can talk privately, whatever you want. Just don't do something you're going to regret," she said, lowering her gun and putting it back in her holster.  "Just put the gun on the floor Cyrus. We can talk."

Just as Cyrus was about to pull the trigger, he was knocked onto the floor by JJ who kicked his gun away.  As soon as he was in cuffs Zena was on her hands and knees, heaving from the stress of the situation.

As Cyrus was pulled out of the building Spencer rushed over to his wife, who was now emptying the contents of her stomach onto the tile of the floor.  "You're okay," he told her, rubbing soothing circles on her back and holding back her hair.  When JJ came over to make sure she was okay, Spencer went straight over to Hotch.

"You told me she wasn't going to be involved," he screamed, going to shove his boss.

"Reid, I tried. She threw on a bulletproof vest and ran straight out of the room when she heard you were in danger. There's nothing I could have done to stop her, she wasn't going to let you get hurt. We arranged for her to be the distraction in order for JJ to disarm Cyrus."

He looked over at his wife, who was sitting on the floor crying, their friends surrounding and comforting her. "This isn't a time to be angry at her, Spencer. She needs you," Hotch said.

He nodded and made his way over to the young woman who was distraught, kneeled down and wrapped his arms protectively around her.  "I'm here, it's going to be okay, Love. You're going to be okay."