Chapter 9

"Do you think I should tell the team?" Spencer asked Zena early one morning while the two of them were laying in his bed.

"Spence, that's not my choice to make. If you feel like you're ready to merge the two lives, then I say do it. If you aren't then just wait off. We are in no rush," his girlfriend replied raking her fingers through his curls, leaning in and kissing him. After pulling away he couldn't help but to continue the conversation. "I mean, it's been 11 months and 4 days, that's a good chunk of time. In fact, it is nearly a full trip around the sun." He looked distraught and even nervous, however Zena couldn't figure out why. Sure, it must be a little worrisome to inform your friends about your personal life, but to cause such a reaction seemed odd to her. He continued on

"Z, can I ask you a really important question?"

"Of course baby, what's up?"

With an anxious cough and lack of eye contact Spencer asked "Would you maybe want to move in with me? I want to come home to you in our bed wearing my clothes every night and wake up next to you every morning. I want our separate book collections to become one, and I want your colorful crazy lesson plans to be scattered around our dining room table."

Zena laughed lightly, tears brimming her eyes. "It took you long enough. Spencer, I would love to move in with you. How would you feel about moving into a slightly bigger place... and maybe getting a dog?" Spencer sighed in relief saying, "anything for you darling."

The two PHD holders flipped open a laptop and began surfing the web, trying to find a place that was close enough to both of their jobs. After an hour and a half, they had found a townhouse that they were absolutely in love with. "Spence look, there is a showing today. We should go."

The townhouse was absolutely incredible, and it was central to both of their work places. There were four rooms and two full bathrooms. What Zena was most excited about was that just like Spencer's current apartment, the townhouse master bedroom and spare bedroom had built in bookshelves. "It's perfect," he softly whispered to her, giving her a peck on the cheek. And just like that, the two of them had decided to put a deposit down, having a place to call their own.

Zena loved the idea of moving in with Spencer but hated the process of moving. Her apartment complex gave her two days to move out. That meant that she had only two days to pack all of her belongings and transport them to the new house. After lugging the last box into her car, she handed her keys to the landlord, and drove off to her new home. She was meeting Spence there to pick up their new set of keys and to set up the house. With both of their hectic schedules, they knew they really only had one full day to get it done.

After many hours of hard work, their home was nearly finished, and it was gorgeous. Spencer had bought a variety of plants for Zena to hang in the living room. He also printed out some of his favorite pictures of the two of them and framed them hanging them on the walls that lead into their kitchen and dining room. What Zena was most excited for was their shared office. The two of them had hung their various certificates and diplomas on the walls, and they had both decided that it would be best to get a whiteboard for his geographical profiling and her practicing her lessons the night before a lecture.

"Okay we just need to quickly run to Home Depot to copy our key and then we should be done!" Spencer exclaimed, picking up his girlfriend and spinning her around. Zena always hated the hardware store, it was cold and she found it to be filled with toxic masculinity. She was in her own little world when she suddenly heard someone shouting for her boyfriend.

"Oh wow, hey Hotch," Spencer said shaking the mystery man's hand.

"Hotch, this is my girlfriend Dr. Zena Barbarage. Zena, this is my boss SSA Aaron Hotchner."