Chapter 21

Zena's stay at the hospital was eventful to say the least. Cyrus had heard through the grapevine that his sister was shot and expressed his concern leaving a very aggravated Zena.

"YOU COULD HAVE DIED AND YOU DIDN'T THINK TO CALL ME? INSTEAD I GET A CALL FROM YOUR FUCKING BOSS!"

Zena exhaled  huffed. "You know Cyrus, I couldn't exactly make the call during my 7 hour emergency surgery. Next time I'll make sure to grab my phone out of my back pocket and call you as soon as the bullet lodges itself into my body. Sound good?"

Cyrus angrily walked out of the room to avoid saying something he would regret. "Why is she being such a pain in the ass? I'm just trying to look out for her. Why doesn't she understand that?" He turned to Spencer for advice, hoping his sister's fiancé knew what was going on with her.

"The doctors are giving her corticosteroids s to prevent infection of the bullet wound. The steroids are actually repressing certain receptors in the brain that make her happy.  This means that there is a significant decrease in serotonin and dopamine, the chemicals that make us happy or euphoric.  Thus causing her to have the stereotypical 'roid rage' response," Spencer explained to Cyrus.

Cyrus laughed to himself, and patted Spencer on the arm. "You know Spence, you might just be the best thing to happen to this family. You seem to diffuse all tension, always... and I spoke too soon."

Spencer turned around to see what Cyrus was looking at. There was a very tall, thin woman wearing all black and 6-inch heels strutting down the halls of the hospital.

"I wonder who the snitch was that told our mom?" Cyrus whispered to Spencer as his mother towards the two.

However, Spencer knew exactly who it was; Penelope Garcia. "Couldn't tell you, man."

"Cyrus, you look homeless why must you insist to wear such horrid clothing always," his mother snarled at him, pulling at the hem of his red and navy flannel.

"Hi Aya, I missed you too! How is Europe?" Sarcasm woven through every single word.

Spencer stood awkwardly, turning his attention to whomever was currently speaking.

"You know Mom, if you would like to see your daughter who was just recently shot, she's in that room right there." His mother walked off without him and Spencer.

"Are you sure that is a good idea? I mean Zena is receiving a heavy dosage, not sure if seeing her mom is the best move."

"Spencer, my mother is about to receive the verbal ass kicking she set up for herself the second she left. You're going to want to see this, trust me."

The two men walked into Zena's room where she was leaning as far away as she possibly could from her mother's embrace. "If you come any closer woman, I swear to god I will call in the nurses and get you escorted out of here quicker than you got on that plane to Paris. Now LET ME GO!"

Cyrus leaned over to Spencer and whispered, "told you".

"I find out through the FBI that my daughter was shot and flew here straight from Milan and this is the thanks I receive?"

Spencer and Cyrus looked at each other; Spencer's face contorted with fear, Cyrus' with amusement and utter joy.

"Oh, you want thanks? Thank you so much mom for dropping everything in your very important life -doing god knows what- to come visit your daughter whom you haven't reached out to in what has it been? 9 years now? Thank you for walking out when we needed you. Most importantly thank you for making me realize I want to be nothing like you when Spencer and I have children. Oh, wait have I been saying thank you? I really meant to say FUCK YOU. FUCK YOU AYA. NOW GET OUT OF MY ROOM AND GO BACK TO WHEREVER THE HELL YOU CAME FROM."