Chapter 1

Mondays were always a favorite for Zena. It signified a new start to the week, it gave her a chance to start a new workout routine, but most importantly it mean there was a full five days of teaching her students ahead of her.

"Good morning and happy Monday my beautiful environmentalists! I wanted to congratulate you all on completing your midterm. Every single person passed with flying colors."

There was a moment of distinct relief followed by happy chatter from her students. The week prior had been extremely stressful for not only the students, but Zena as well. It was her first year as a professor, and she wanted to make sure that she was doing everything in her power to teach her students. She worked with the intention of being a professor she would have wanted as an undergrad, even though her years in undergrad truly weren't that long ago.

"Alrighty, let's get started with todays lesson about keystone species!"

Class carried on swimmingly, and her students seemed to be eager to learn after receiving such good news. Before everyone knew it, class was over. Students started to pack their belongings up, and head for the door while Zena shouted after them. "Please remember to not only look over your notes, but read chapter 4 of the textbook. It has great examples and explanations. Have a great day kiddos."

Zena packed up her notes and wiped down the board before plugging in her earphones and starting towards her office. She was quite focused on the little squares that encompassed the hallway, when she suddenly found herself sprawled amongst them.

"Oh shit, I'm so sorry, please let me help you with that" said a lanky man with curly hair and a kind smile, who now joined her on the floor, helping collect exam papers that littered the tiled hallway. He recognized the outstanding grades on the papers, and after inferring her profession, was impressed with the results of her students.

"Please do not worry about it, I'm always in my own little world, never really paying attention." Her cheeks reddened and she held out her hand. "I'm Dr. Zena Barbarage, I'm one of the professors in the science department here."

"I'm Dr. Spencer Reid with the FBI, I'm guest lecturing later and thought I would get here early to set up. And I'm so sorry, but I don't shake hands- it's a germ thing. Also, aren't you a little young to have a PHD?" The woman laughed and simply bumped his elbow with hers.

"I could ask you the same, no?" He chuckled to himself and shrugged his shoulders, continuing to pick up scattered exams. "FBI, that's extremely impressive. If you don't mind me asking, what are you lecturing on?"

"Today one of my teammates and I are here to talk about the psychology behind profiling serial killers. Truly intriguing topic. Here, let me write down the information for you, come by if you have time, I'd love to see you there." He scribbled down the building, room number, and time on a small piece of paper he pulled from his messenger bag.

"Well, I better get to that lecture hall, lots of prepping to do," Reid said, a twinge of anxiety in his tone as he handed her the note. The genius now recognized how beautiful she was, fully making eye contact with her green eyes for the first time. Her black hair cascaded down her back, and she had freckles littering the bridge of her face, her plump pink lips twitching upwards.

"Good luck Dr.Reid. Oh, and one more thing," she said, as the young man started to walk away flustered. "You won't find the lecture hall in the natural science department. You're looking for the Gaela Psychology building, just two buildings over. Have a fantastic day!"

As she walked away she couldn't help but feel her heart flutter as she glanced at the scrap of paper with the lecture information. She wasn't sure if she would even go, but the thought of seeing Dr. Reid again excited her and compelled her to consider giving the FBI agent's lesson a shot.