Chapter 33

A/N- UMMM EXCUSE ME????? 100K READS?!! Y'ALL ARE BLOWING MY MIND. Thank you thank you.  I know I say this a lot but this book originally started as just a way to get my mind flowing, I never thought it would be read. I have so much love for all of you!  Please remember I'm always here if any of you need to chat xx

Things had become complex in the BAU.  The entire team seemed to be on edge, to the point that any time Zena came into the office it was painful fo her to talk to the team.  One day on the ride home from work Zena turned to her husband.

"Spence, what the fuck is going on at work?"

"Oh thank god you noticed it too," he said with a sigh of relief.   Chuckling, he continued. "I know I'm socially unaware most of the time, so if I'm feeling it, it must be bad."

Zena laughed along with him.  It was true, while Spencer was known for reading, reading the room was not in his skill set.  "Do you think it's something I did?"  From a young age she had always been concerned that she upset people without knowing.  Now, she constantly worries that she's insulted people.

"Z, what could you have done," Spencer reassured her.  "Of everyone in that room you are easily the most agreeable.  And you are the hardest working of all of us.  It certainly is not you."

"Well we need to figure it out.  I cant step foot in that office again if it's going to be that uncomfortable," she said, leaning back into the carseat.

The next day at work was even worse than the last and the young professor  couldn't handle it anymore.  "What is the problem?  Why is no one looking at each other or talking to one another? I cant take it anymore."

Everyone looked at her in shock, including Spencer.  After a full minute of silence, Hotch called her up to his office.

"Barbarage, I know things have felt off lately for you," he said to her with a stern look.

"Do they not feel off for you? I think everyone is feeling awkward about something I don't know."

"Zena, I don't know how to tell you this," he said, his eyes softening. "But Cyrus is currently being considered a suspect for an ongoing serial crime."

Zena looked at her boss and long time friend with such horror and then began cackling.  "You have to be joking."  Pulling out her cellphone she looked at the date.  "What is it? Fucking April Fools?"

Hotch looked at her so sadly.  "I'm really sorry, Zena.  Unfortunately this is true. I've asked the team not to say anything but I realize now that it was wrong of me.  You deserve to know."

"Spencer knew this whole time and he didnt-" the young woman was cut off by Hotch.

"I didn't tell Reid either.  You two have a bias, and for valid reason.  But we couldn't let you know prematurely. "

Zena began to bawl.  She couldn't believe the words she was hearing.  Cyrus, her sweet little brother, a murderer.  

"I haven't heard from him in months," she admitted to Hotch, still in shock.  Cyrus had ignored all of her phone calls, text messages, and even emails.  She was initially worried, but Spencer reminded her how stressful the PhD track is.  She remembered when she was at the final stages she didn't talk to anyone for a solid month.  "I thought it was because his course load and research had become too much," she said sniffling.  "I just cant imagine him doing something so cruel.  He's such a good person," laying her head on the table, sobs causing her to convulse.  

Hotch met her on the other side of the desk, getting on both knees and holding her hands.  "You are going to be alright. We are going to discover the truth.  But regardless of the outcome I promise you will be okay."

Zena left work early that day, saying absolutely nothing to anyone.  She simply walked straight passed the team and out of the glass double doors  with tear stained cheeks.  Spencer went to go after her, but Hotch told him it was wise for them to talk in his office so he could relay the message.

"So you really think Cyrus Barbarage would do something like this," Spencer asked, pushing away the file that contained bloody bodies and stray organs.

"I don't have the answer to that unfortunately.  I think that the FBI needs to work on this case, and neither of you can be involved."

"Hotch I don't have the same bias-" Hotch cut him off.

"Reid, you are not working this case.  Both you and Barbarage will be greatly missed as you are both incredible assets to this team.  However, we cannot risk bias  for the sake of your job, your wife's job, and the rest of the teams jobs.  Stay home with Zena, comfort her.  I will fill you in when I can."

When Spencer arrived at their home, he found his wife buried in the duvet of their bedroom, sobbing, their beautiful dog curled up next to her, licking the tears off of her face.  The young man knew he often said the wrong things, and didn't want to make the situation worse or cause the love of his life more pain.  So, he kicked off his shoes, changed out of his work clothes and held her in his arms until she stopped crying and was soundly asleep.