"Fourth year"

"Goodnight, (B/n)." I tucked my brother into bed before sleeping. He said he couldn't sleep because I was leaving tomorrow so I tried to make up an excuse why I needed to.

"Don't leave (n/n)." He whimpered. He was already done crying but it seems like it was triggered again.

"I know it's hard that I'm always away for a very long time but I'll come back with more gifts by the end of the year." He shook his head and made it clear he didn't want any gift.

"...What kind of gift?"

"Do you want the chocolate frogs I gave you last year?"

"The moving ones?"

"Yeah, the moving ones. I'll give all of it to you!" I felt better when he started giggling. It was hard to leave him as well and only then did I realize I was important to him when he started complaining about my absence.

"When will you come back?" I sighed and smiled. "I'll be back as soon as I can." His face dropped into a frown and faced the opposite side, turning his back on me.

"You said that last time."

"I'll be back sooner this time. I...I promise." No matter how much I wanted to return and spend more time with him, I'm not always the person deciding my fate. "Do you want toys when I come back?"

No answer. I peaked from behind him and saw him fast asleep. It's better to leave earlier than to see him beg me to stay tomorrow morning. I'll miss him for sure and time really does move fast. "Good night." I slowly lifted his small hands and placed a kiss on top of it. Now I needed to figure out how to fall asleep. I blew on the candle and watched the small fire disappear in a snap.

When I laid on my bed, the shadow of the tree just beside the building crept inside the room from the window. It scared me and the cold atmosphere didn't help either. Come on, just close your eyes and clear your mind, I'm sure you'll fall asleep in no time.

Was it the mattress? The pillow? I don't know. Nothing seems to be working. Looking at the grey ceiling bored me out of my mind but it wasn't enough to make me feel tired.

Noises of nature outside the orphanage like stray cats or bats making little chirps from afar made me drowsy and while I was drifting off to sleep...

I heard a thud from the window. Is it that damned owl again? Merlin's beard, at night?! I saw my brother move a little so I cautiously stood up from my bed and made my way to the window. The owl was there waiting for me but I only glared at it.

I opened the window and snatched the letter from its beak. "Next time don't land on the windowpane, aim for the window sill." I whispered. It flew away leaving me standing in the dark room.

"Lumos." My wand made a tiny orb of light but it was enough to make me see words from the letter. Why would Sir Albus send me a letter this late? Maybe the owl got lost?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear (Y/n), I reckon you will be returning to Hogwarts tomorrow. Is this your fourth year? I can't quite remember. Your birthday just passed and it's pitiful of me to not have given you anything for your fourteenth birthday. We soon shall meet again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought it was a funny letter because Sir Albus couldn't remember that I would be a fourth-year student next year. He gave me a gift and he must have forgotten again. He gave me another handmade sweater. Don't know if he used magic with it or not.

My brother started moving and stretched his limbs. I quickly cast off the spell and hopped on the bed which I was thankful for not making any creaking sounds just like the ones in Hogwarts. Those were comfortable but noisy. I set their curtains on fire once—on accident of course.

Finally, the same thing made me fall asleep. If animals could understand me I would thank them for giving me a lullaby.
.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

I had prepared to leave and was now ready to leave. It's still a little early and it was still dark outside but that's what I wanted. Waking up early in the morning and seeing the whole world asleep was enchanted. The moon was no longer in sight meaning the sun was soon to rise.

The streets were silent and I felt the morning breeze in the dark. Soon the bats were replaced by small birds while some cars started to drive in the streets. I was close to the station so I don't need to rush anymore.

My brother would probably wake up in an hour or two. I feel horrible making him feel alone throughout the year but it'll pass.

Once I got into the train station, I remembered the first time Tom and I met. God, why am I still thinking about him? It's not like we're friends anymore. Marin was right, I should just forget about him and move on.

Some first year's we're lined up and went one by one into the wall. Must have been an experience for them. At last, it was my turn now. A mother pointed me out to show her children how to do it so I sped towards the wall and went straight into the wizarding world.

As always the train was already there but surprisingly Marin was early like me. "(Y/n) over here!" She called to me. I ran towards her and gave her a hug.

"How are you so early? Last time you had to chase after the train."

"Mom found out about that so she had the maids to wake me up at four. I couldn't open my eyes at first but It passed."

'Well, I think it's about time you start arriving early. We replaced you last time with Warren."

"I know but that was a one-time thing. Anyway, have you eaten breakfast yet?"

"I had tea."

"That's not breakfast." She pulled out a pink paper bag and gave it to me. "Here eat up. I figured the orphanage doesn't feed the kids there."

"Haha, they do but I just left very early." I opened the bag and saw blueberry muffins inside. She didn't have to but I think she wanted to.

"Senan should be here any minute now. It would be a shock to see us earlier than him." We laughed at the mental image.

"Do you still get those letters?" We walked towards a bench and sat down. "Yeah. They're a bit odd actually. Sir Albus seems to be forgetting a lot of things."

"He's an old man, that's normal."

"He's smarter than you think. He would know your secret without you even telling."

"That's just taking over my privacy."

"Exactly! And you wouldn't even know it!" We both stopped when we heard someone running towards us. I turned around and saw Senan. "You two are earlier than me! How?!"

"No telling but now you have to wake up earlier than us."

"Want muffins?" I offered him the bag and he took one. "I hadn't had breakfast yet." He told me. The three of us sat there eating our muffins.