Chapter 19

James

"How's the first day in business," Mercedes asks as she walks into my office. "Great and even better now that my wing woman is here," I respond and she gives me one of her beautiful smiles. "I like the sound of that," she says putting her bags down.

As she moves closer to the table I pull out the bunch of flowers under my table. Her eyes light up as she sees the pink roses. "This is so sweet of you James," she says giving my a hug. "I just want to say thank you. I don't know where this business would be without you right now," I say and her eyes start tearing up. "You're such a softy Merc," I say pulling her closer. "I'm sorry," she says and chuckles.

"It's alright. You're so cute," I say as I wipe a tear off of her cheek. I smile as she looks me in the eye. Her eyes brighten up as I put a strand of hair behind her ear.

Mercedes

"Hi, I'm so sorry for interrupting," His assistant says as she walks in with our coffee. "Thank you Karry," James says and I only give her a look. She walks past me to give James his coffee then turns to me. She gives me a look filled with disgust then places my coffee on the table.

"What a bitch," I whisper under my breath when she walks out. "What was that. I sense some jealousy," James says with a smirk as he looks at me.

"She's the jealous one. I walked in here unprovoked and she started with her little attitude," I say and he simply takes a sip of his coffee. "Then why do you feel the need to explain yourself," he says and sits in his chair. "Cause if I don't no one else will," I say abd he looks at me. "Sometimes your presence speaks loud enough," he says.

"When I walk into a room everybody treats me with respect. Why?" He says tapping into his serious businessman side. "Because you're James Jacobs," I say as if it isn't already obvious. "Exactly, because that's the amount of respect that comes with my name. And with that comes authority, wealth, fame and a lot more but why do you think that is?" He asks again. "Because you walked in and basically took over the business industry," I say and he looks at me. "And you think I did that by arguing with petty receptionists? No, I did it because I knew who I was and I rubbed shoulders with the people I want to be associated with. I was never cut out to be a fucking receptionist so I never associated with any receptionists. I'm not saying look down on anyone but don't degrade yourself for anyone," he says then takes a sip of his whiskey.

"Mercedes if there's anyone in this world who knows me it's you. I'm a mess. You saw me fuck up a business before I even started it and you know who saved it? You. You're a fucking boss and you need to start acting like it," he says looking me directly in my eyes. "James my time will come. I don't want to rush into anything," I say and he smiles. "Fear, hesitation and constant postponing will stop you from achieving so much in life," he says as he pours himself another glass of whiskey.

Cathy

As I'm about to put the finishing touches on my painting LJ steps in a bucket of paint. "LJ baby, watch out," I say as I pick him up and take off his shoe. "Your dad is going to kill me. Do you know how expensive these shoes were?" I say and he gives me a cute smile.

"We can just replace them he'll never know," I say and give him a kiss on the forehead. I've been coming to the studio with LJ. James would probably be pissed if he found out. He doesn't want LJ and I in public alone as it is unsafe.

I scream and grab a brush as I hear the door open. "We're closed, you should leave," I say before I hear a deep laugh. "I'm so sorry, my curiosity got the best of me," a tall African American man says as he looks around. "Look, if you're paparazzi trying to get a story, I refuse to say anything regarding my husband or my family and I will call the cops," I say and my hands start to shake.

"Ma'am I don't know who your husband is and I have no business asking about your family. I was just impressed by the beautiful artworks. Besides we know innocent black men and cops aren't a good combination," he says with a chuckle.

I freeze not knowing what to say. As he starts looking around LJ throws him with his paint covered shoe. "Watch out buddy," he says kindly. "Oh my goodness LJ, that's not very nice," I say picking up his shoe and handing the man a cloth. "What a horrible first impression. Catherine Jacobs," i say as I extend my hand for him to shake. "George," he says with a smile. "I'm so sorry. I can hardly go anywhere without being bombarded by cameras and microphones these days," I say.

"Why's that," he asks and rinses the cloth in the basin. "Are you serious? I'm James Jacobs' wife," I say. "Oh shit, that's you. Paparazzi needs better camera quality because you look much better in person," he says and I chuckle. "Never heard that one before. Are you from around here?" I ask. "Nah, I'm from Chicago. I moved to LA a few months ago," he says. "And how do you like it here?"

"I've been so busy working, I hardly ever get time to myself," he says. "I can relate to that," I respond. "I have learned there's more to life than work though. I was offered a job offer recently and I turned it down. Now I'm stuck at home and I realized I don't have any hobbies," he says happily.

"And you're hoping to find a hobby in my studio?" I ask nonchalantly. "Well it's the only interesting store I've come across so far, unless you want to show me some other great spots in town?" He says. "I don't know. Getting around town isn't exactly easy for me," I say.

"That's too bad," he begins to speak. "But I do know a place," I say and he gives me a smile.