Chapter 15

Mercedes

As we walk into our apartment, both Matthew and I receive a notification. I open the email Jacobs inc. as he locks the door. "We are proud to have you as a member of  James Jacobs and Corey McKenzie's new business, California Carpenters co", I read. "Mine says that too," Matthew says as he stands next to me. I keep on reading the document. 

"Our first meeting is scheduled for Monday," Matthew says as he throws himself on the couch. "Didn't you say they have nothing planned yet? How do they have a meeting with a whole team of employees without an actual business?" Matthew says with a smirk as he turns to me. "Well, babe what are you looking at me for? I'm just as confused about this business as you are," I respond then sit next to him. "Then why did you agree to work with him?" he asks as he plays with my hair. "Despite our past, I think James is an excellent businessman and this would be an amazing opportunity for me," I respond. "You didn't sign a contract with him, that's the first red flag. You know the first red flag should have been his horrible pitch, that left everybody more confused than convinced," he says with a serious look.

"Well, Mr. Genius why did you take the offer if you have such a negative opinion on this business?" I ask as I get slightly irritated. "Because unlike you, I have worked with McKenzie on numerous projects and businesses and he always delivers. Whereas this famous multi-millionaire businessman James Jacobs is known for taking credit for many businesses which he stole," he says not breaking eye contact. "We don't know that. People only assume so because he mentioned getting a lot of financial and physical support from his wife, who was not once mentioned in any of James' businesses. However that could have been her choice not to be included, but such things can't just be told to the public, it's confidential," I said before standing up and walking into the kitchen.

"You get so defensive when talking about James," he says with a smirk. "He deserves a chance. What you see on the outside isn't necessarily always the truth. There is more to James than just the rich guy," I say and he just nods silently. I take some tortillas out of the fridge. "Would you like some?" I ask and he quickly looks up from his phone. "No thanks. I'm going to take a shower," he says before standing up and walking up the stairs as he types on his phone.

James

I throw my jacket on the couch as I walk into the house. "You're early," Cathy says as I walk into the kitchen. "Yeah, the social worker is coming isn't she?" I ask as I take a bottle of water out of the fridge. "She's out of the state, so one of her colleagues is standing in for her," she says as she dries off the last plate.

"That's good. LJ hates that woman," I say with a chuckle as Cathy gives me an irritated look. "I wouldn't say he hates her. He's just confused by her," she says then sits in front of me. "Because she constantly asks so many questions," I respond and her face drops. "It's for the best James," she says softly before LJ walks into the house. We wraps his muddy body around my leg as he smiles with joy. "James come on buddy, look at the mess you've made," I say as I put my bottle of water down.

"Oh James, he's just excited to see you. No need to be so harsh," Cathy says making me even more annoyed. "Seriously Cath. Look at him," I say. "He didn't do it intentionally," she says as she takes off his dirty clothes. "He should know better," I say and walk past her. "He is a child for Christ sake James. You don't even need that suit. You can afford to buy so many more," she shouts as I walk out of the kitchen.

I stop and turn back to her. "That's not the point. If you encourage behaviour like this, he'll forever continue doing stuff like this," I say trying to make a point. "I'm not encouraging anything. I just don't think it's necessary to react like that," she says picking up his clothes and wiping the mud off of the floor. As I'm about to say something she starts talking. "Oh James, I'll take it to the dry cleaners for you if I must," she says hopelessly.

As she walks up the stairs I receive a call from the security in front of my house. "Sir there is a Samantha here," a deep voice says. "Who the fuck is Samantha and what does she want," I respond angrily. "She's the social worker," he says and I tell him to let her in. I try wiping my pants and some of the stains stay behind. She rings the doorbell and I open for her. I nearly can't believe my eyes when she walks into the house.

She walks in head held high with her books in hand. She looks around snobbishly before making eye contact. She looks at me then introduces herself without shaking my hand. "Samantha Ferreira," she says. I nod as I recognize her voice. "You're a social worker?" I ask as I realize she is the journalist from my book reading earlier this year. "Yes, writing is a hobby," she says clearly understanding my question. "Don't you think this is a bit inappropriate," I say and she smirks. "Mr. Jacobs I do not like you, or the image you give to the world about what a great businessman you are, if I really wanted to expose you, don't you think I would have done so already? It wouldn't have been hard to dig up dirt on you, seeing that majority of the internet already think you're an abusive alcoholic," she says then Cathy walks in with LJ.

"Catherine, nice to meet you. Samantha Ferreira," she says with a smile. LJ holds on to his mother's hand as Samantha looks at him. "Hi buddy, how are you," she says in a soft voice but LJ doesn't respond. I chuckle as he cries for Cathy to pick him up.