Chapter 22

James

As I arrive home LJ runs to me and hugs my leg. "Hey buddy," I say as I pick him up. He's eyes are filled with excitement as he shows me the lump of clay in his hands. "Were you getting creative with mommy?" I say as we walk to Cathy's home studio. As I walk in I find her playing some classical music as she works on a sculpture of what looks like a pregnant woman. "That's beautiful," I say as I stand behind her and look at the sculpture. I place a hand on her shoulder as she looks up to me. "Thank you. How was your day," she says with a smile. "Great. I definitely chose a good team of people," I respond and she stands up. "I'm glad my love," she says as she kisses me.

"I didn't make dinner, I thought maybe we could go to that Caribean restaurant you love," she says as she wipes her hands. "That sounds nice, but I have a bunch of emails that I need to read," I say and I see Cathy's face drop. "Oh," she says. She doesn't even make eye contact. "Maybe we can have them deliver?" I say and she looks at me. "A friend told me about a special they have on Mondays with cute activities for children, I thought it would maybe be a fun experience for LJ. But delivery can work too," she says as she takes LJ. "What about next Monday. THe office should be less busy once everyone has settled in," I say as we walk towards the kitchen. "We both know that's not gonna work, maybe Saturday," she says as she puts LJ on the couch and takes out her phone to place an order. "What do you mean?" I say feeling like a shitty father. "It seems like the only time you're home is on weekends and even then your mind is at work," she says with her eyes still glued to the screen. I feel my phone vibrate in my pants before I answer, WGen I pull it out I find a notification of an email for Annais.

I make a mental note to check it later. "I know the last few months have been crazy but once this business is up and going it will get better," I say and she doesn't respond.

"You know James there was once a time when you put me first in your life. I'm not even saying it to make you feel bad, I'm just pointing it out," she says. I think of how to react to what she said but I'm left speechless. "Should be here in the next thirty minutes. Can you please keep an eye on cameras, I'm going to give LJ a bath," she says as she leaves the kitchen. "Sure," I say under my breath.

I sit on the kitchen island as I got through my endless list of emails. When I get to Anna's email I send it straight to Mercedes as she is the head of finance. a few minutes after sending it I get another notification on my phone. I open it as I see it's a text from Mercedes.

Merc :) : Did you see her financial plan?!

No...left that to the head of finance ;)

Merc :) : It's rediculous. Seems like she put no effort into it.

Send it back to her and ask for her to fix the area you don't agree with.

Merc :) : lol she'd have to redo the whole thing. I'll just do it myself.

You really don't have to Merc just tell her you aren't satisfied.

Merc :) : I'm not in the mood for her.

Alright... You okay?

I respond but she doesn't respond immediately. "Sir were you expecting a delivery?" one of the security guards say through the house intercom. "Yes, please bring it to the door," I respond and a few minutes later I hear the doorbell ringing. I walk up to the door to find him standing there with the bag of takeout. "Thank you," I say before taking the bag and getting into the house. I place it on the counter and close my laptop as Cathy and LJ come walking down the stairs.

I take out plates or Cathy and I and a plastic one for LJ. I dish out the rice and lamb for Cathy and I and some chicken nuggets and fries for LJ. I laugh at the fact LJ ordered at a Caribean just to get a meal that's available literally anywhere. It makes sense though, I can't imagine poor LJ eating spicy food without feeling like his head is going to explode.

"I hope we can have more nights like these," I say as I look into Cathy's eyes before we start eating. "Have you discussed your idea about a launch party with McKenzie yet?" she asks. "Yes, he's fine with it I would just like to run the idea by the rest of the team as well before planning it. I bought a new warehouse for all the furniture to be made in, so there's an empty space in the new building. It's in a safer part of town and closer to each other," I say and she looks at me. "James I don't need all the snods from the better part of town thinking I'm some art gallery at the back of you building. And I've gotten close with so many people who actually truly love my art in downtown LA, I can't just up and leave," she says.

"I understand. I mean you've had that studio for years, but ther's been so many robberies and it's a crime hotspot. Moving it up town is safer and there are many people who are willing to pay more than you even ask for your art," I say and she lets out a sigh. "I'm not doing it for the money or publicity James. I do it for the people. I want to get messages across and inspire young children. I know how much my paintings are worth, that's why I host art galleries once in a while. But I give most to money to charity because I want less fortunate children to be able to come where I am today," she says and I hold her hand in mine. "You're so loving," I say and she doesn't look back at me. Instead she takes her hand and continues eating.