Chapter 27

Mercedes

"Hi," I say as I greet everybody. "Hi, stranger. Haven't seen you in a while," Andrea says as she gives me a hug. "Maybe if you spent less time representing people in court, we could hang out more," I respond and she blushes. "It's not just court that's been keeping me this busy," she says with a smirk then makes eye contact with McKenzie. "Eww. I don't even wanna imagine that" I say and she chuckles. As we all start laughing I notice James' hand shaking. He uncomfortably scratches his head. "Hey, are you okay," I say as I take the champagne out of his shaking hand.  "Yeah," he responds before pulling his hand away. I reach for his hand but I stop when I notice Cathy approaching from behind. Fuck. 

"Hey Cath," James says taking his champagne glass back and putting the other around her. "Hi everyone, she says in her soft polite voice. She makes eye contact with me but I look away quickly. "Andrea, I heard the food is great. We should get some," I say and grab her hand. She giggles as we walk through the crowds of people. "Awkward! What the fuck was that?" she says as I shove mini pizzas in my mouth. "I don't know. I panicked. What was I supposed to do?" I respond. "I don't know. Maybe facing her like an adult instead of running away," she says.

"Oh and say what? 'Sorry again for fucking your husband and basically ruining your life," I respond and she stares at me blankly. "Maybe don't make this about that. Just enjoy your night," she says then kisses me on my cheek. "Speaking of enjoyment. McKenzie and I are about to go have sex in the bathroom," she says and winks. It takes me a moment then I realize that he is the mystery guy she's been dating. "What the fuck? You're dating him," I say and she laughs. "Yes I told you I'm dating Corey McKenzie," she says then walks away. "Corey fucking McKenzie. I forgot McKenzie was only his last name lol," I say to myself as I drink a glass of wine.

...

James

"Oh hey," McKenzie says as he enters the room. "Hey man," I respond as I look at the view through the huge window. "Is this where her studio is going to be?" he asks as he stands next to me. "Yes, that's if she ever agrees to move in here," I respond and we both chuckle. "She's a tough one I'll give her that. I'm surprised she didn't throw a punch at Mercedes tonight," he says and I nod as I take a sip of my whiskey. "Trouble in paradise," he asks. "Yeah, I mean there's never peace since... you know," I say. "Yeah?" he responds. "There's always screaming and shouting. Constant fights over the smallest bullshit. We argue about what washing powder we should use for our clothes. I mean all washing powders are the fucking same," I say and we both chuckle. 

"Cathy's never been easy but ever since Mercedes, she's just this cold hostile person. I tried being there for her, vacations, flowers every week, I even got LJ a football club which she refuses to take him to but she still hates me," I say. "Wow I didn't realize it was that bad," McKenzie responds. "I mean how would you. One thing my dear wife is very good at is playing her part. Whether it be a mother or the perfect wife, she always just makes it all look so perfect. She plays her part well," I say then go quiet. 

"Well, I think you should start preparing for your speech. The people are still sober and happy so I think now is the perfect time," he says before leaving the room. "Alright, I'll be right out," I respond then take out my flashcards. 

As I walk back into the party I notice Cathy and Mercedes talking to each other. I walk to the mic as quickly as I can to break their conversation but the DJ refuses to hand it to me. I take a big sip of my whiskey as I wonder what their conversation is about.