Chapter 37

Mercedes
When I get to the office building I walk straight to my office. I notice that everything is exactly how I left it. I take the box from under my table and begin to pack everything on my desk. After putting everything away I take the box and walk up to Ana's cubicle. Being the alcoholic party animal she is, she should know what is in the small bottle I found on the coffee table.

When I walk in I find Lamar sitting in her office with her. "Oh I'm sorry," I say quickly as they turn to face me. "No worries I was just leaving," Lamar says with a smile but I can't bear to make eye contact with him. "What's all this? Did you get fired already?" Ana says with her snobbish attitude. "I'm not in the mood to argue Ana, I just need your help," I say and she smiles. "Miss CFO needing help from me. I never thought I'd see the day," she says.

I notice her looking me up and down as I put the box on the floor. "I think Matthew is doing drugs," I say and she laughs. "You're soft ass little boyfriend, doing hard drugs. I doubt it," she says then turns back to her computer. "Keep it down, and I'm serious Ana," I say and her smile fades slightly.

"Okay so what does this have to do with me Mercedes," she says and I pull the small bottle and place it on her desk. She analyses it the laughs again. "To keep it short, yes, your boyfriend is on drugs. But it's not the kind you think it is," she says with a smirk. "What the fuck does that mean Ana, can you stop speaking in riddles for once," I say taking it out of her hand.

"It's poppers. It's commonly used amongst gay people for sex. It's like viagra but ten times better. So either your boyfriend is having sex with another man or he just loves to sit around and feel high and horny in his free time," she says and we both go quiet. So many thoughts begin going through my mind. I mean Matthew is not gay. I found him on a dating site for fucks sake. I jump as Lamar reaches from behind me to grab something on Ana's desk. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," Lamar says with a smile.

I notice his smile fade as he notices my irritated expression. He looks at Ana then to my hand and he immediately loses colour in his face when he sees the bottle in my hand. "Oh shit, the guy from last night is Matthew, isn't it," she says and suddenly the room feels like it's spinning.

James
"Sir, security has just been called to the third floor. I thought maybe you'd want to see what the matter is," my assistant says over the phone. "Okay thanks Karry," I say as I put down the phone. I put on my jacket before walking to the elevator. When the doors open I step in and press the button for the third floor.

When the doors open again I find chaos. I walk through the group of people before I'm stopped by what I see. On the floor I find Mercedes on top of Lamar repeatedly punching him in his face as he tries to hold her hands. "Merc what fuck," I shout. When the security shows up, I gesture for them to take Mercedes. "Take her to my car," I tell them as I hand them my keys.

Mercedes
I push and pull as the security carry me out of the building. Before I know it, I'm in James' car. "Mercedes, what the fuck? In a professional setting," James says as he gets into the car.
"Oh fuck you James. You don't get to complain when all of this shit is happening because of you," I scream as the tears roll down my face. "How is this me? I just saved you all that embarrassment," he says nonchalantly. "Yeah cause there goes James Jacobs saving the day once a-fucking-gain," I say as I sarcastically clap my hands.

"I've been so caught up with your bullshit i didn't even notice my boyfriend was struggling to come out of the closet. I need a baby Mercedes, I need help starting a business Mercedes, I need help planning a launch party and I need you to manage my business' finances. Be my fucking CFO, and I jump every fucking time," I say. "Exactly, cause you're kind and loyal and trustworthy. And guys like Matthew take advantage of that. Trust me, it doesn't matter how many hours you spent at home, he would still have cheated," James says softly. "You would know," I reply. "Yes I would, and that was the first mistake I made, and I kept making it because Cathy was so understanding and continued to support me. But I can tell it's taken a huge toll on her and that's unfair. So I made my pick and I was honest, and the whole world might hate me for it but it's the right thing to do," he says and I roll my eyes.

"Please shut the fuck up," I say and he turns to me. "All I'm saying is clearly there's a lot on your mind and you need to take time to figure things out. I'm booking you a hotel, just enjoy yourself and relax. Maybe even invite Andrea and don't go back home until you're in the right headspace," he says then begins driving. I choose not to reply because if I'm being honest there's some truth to what he's saying. I do need to unwind and think about... everything.