Chapter 10

Mercedes

Matthew gives me a kiss as he stands behind me in front of the mirror. "Look at us, all dressed up and professional," I say looking at us in the mirror. "We should take a picture," he says and pulls his phone out of his pocket. I pose as he takes a mirror picture. As I'm about to grab my jacket he turns me to face him and takes a picture of me. "No, I wasn't ready," I say as I cover my face. "You look beautiful either way," he says giving me a kiss on the forehead. 

As I take my stuff I walk out of the room. I walk into the kitchen and start preparing coffee. We walk to the parking lot together. After putting my stuff in my car I turn to his. "I haven't driven by myself in a while. I'm kind of nervous," I say truthfully. At this point, I really can't imagine my life without Matthew. "Aw," he says as he pulls me closer to him. "You will be fine babe," he says as he looks me in the eyes. 

As I'm about to respond he kisses me. 

"I love you Mercedes Lopez," he says before opening the door for me. "I love you more," I say as I get into my car. He drives behind me until he takes an exit on the highway. My heart starts beating faster knowing he isn't behind me anymore. As I switch over to the slower lane, I get a call from Matthew. "Are you panicking," he says with an amused voice as I answer his call. "No I'm perfectly fine," I say focussing on the road. "Babe you sound panicked," he says then chuckles. 

"Stop laughing at me," I say and he laughs even more. "Okay my bad. Be safe baby, I love you," he says. "I love you too Matthew," I say and he laughs a last time before hanging up. 

James

I look around as Kaitlyn, McKenzie and I enter the board room. Kaitlyn was one of the first employees I hired and now she manages one of the biggest banks in the USA. She promised to help me with my new business when we met at one of my press conferences. 

"Here we are. We have some of the finest accountants in the country. But since you didn't sign a deal with the bank I can't force them to do business with you. This is an outside project and therefore they can't promise their undivided attemtion to your project and you have to respect that," she says as we sit on our chair. 

"I absolutely respect that," I say as I sit down. I don't really give a shit about her accountants. The only reason I even chose her bank bank is because Mercedes works here. I know it's absolutely selfish of me to even put Mercedes in this position but if this is the only way I'm going to get to spend time with her then so be it. 

As the boardroom slowly starts getting crowded I look out for Mercedes. One by one people come to me congratulating me on my successes and telling me what a great honor it is to work with me. The usual.

Mercedes 

I rush to the bathroom as soon as I enter the building. I freshen up with some wipes as people enter and leave. I am soaked in sweat, that drive was so stressful. "Mercedes, what are you doing here?" Anaiis asks. If it isn't the pain in the ass herself. "I'm working of course," I say as I put all my stuff together. "Don't you work from home," she says with a smirk as she washes her hands. "Not that it's any of your business Ana but I'm here for the meeting Kaitlyn arranged," I say.

"The one with James Jacobs," she turns to me and folds her arms. "I don't know, I just got here," I say picking up my handbag and laptop bag. "Kaitlyn's looking for accountants to work with him. He's pitching a business idea," she says with a smirk. "Alright, he must have a great idea," I say as I try to walk past her. "You know," she steps in front of me, "For a great idea to work you need a great team behind it," she says. 

"And you little miss surrogate aren't quite a team player. So you might want to step back for this one," she says then moves out of my way. I turn to look at her as I feel irritated. "What the fuck is your problem," I say and she chuckles. "You're the one with problems Mercedes. And you wouldn't want to embarrass yourself in front of the whole country," she says before walking out of the restroom.

I feel my blood boiling as I get into the elevator with her. Anaiis is one of the best accountants there is in this building and somehow she thinks that makes us enemies. I never had an issue with her. She might be a bitch but I'm not stooping down to her level. 

As I walk into the boardroom I look around, until my eyes land on James. He lifts his hand up and waves at me as I grab a seat.