Chapter 1

Mercedes

James and I sit in silence as his driver takes us to the nearest restaurant. As we walk out of the car he whispers something to one of the waiters and they escort us to a VIP table. "Is this spot okay?" he asks and I nod. Four different menus are placed in front of us as we sit down. "How big is the menu, damn" I say and James chuckles. "One is for the main menu, the other for starters and desserts, the other is for wines and this one if for drinks" he says as he points then out. I shake my head as I start looking through the menu.

After placing our orders and making small talk about the food we look at each other. "Why did you come back. I thought you'd move back to New York" he says as he leans back. "I was never gone. It was just easier to stay here in LA" I say as I drink my wine. "Are you still a surrogate" he asks as he leans on the table. "No. I needed to start putting myself first" I say uncomfortably as all the memories start flooding my mind. I try to hold back my tears. "I'm sorry. For everything" he says as he sees me looking away. "I had to do what's right for my family" he says as he wraps his hand around his fist. "I understand and I forgive you. I forgave you a long time ago." I say and give him a little smile.

"So much has happened in the last 18 months." I say as I look at him. "Tell me about it." he says with a sigh. "How is everything" I say and he leans back. "After LJ was born I wrote a book dedicated to Cathy. I wanted her to understand how special she was to me. Through everything she stayed consistent. I wasn't even planning on publishing it but after I let McKenzie read it he suggested I should. It basically blew up from there" he said with a passionate look on his face.

"I'm proud of you" I say as I hold his hand. He lets go of my hand as the waiter brings the food. Shit. Why did I hold his hand? "So how have you been" he asks and I can't help but laugh as I think about the crazy stuff that happened during the last year. "After the birth I lived with my mother for a few months. I needed to clear my head. When I came back I found a job and a place to stay. Matthew and I started dating a few months later and then we moved in together." I say as I take a bite of my overpriced burger. "You have a little something right there" James says with a chuckle as he points to his mouth. "What" I say as I try to look at my mouth. "Wait. Let me just..." he says as he wipes the side of my mouth. He looks into my eyes as he keeps his hand under my chin. His mouth turns up into a smile as he looks at me. I push him away as we brake out in laughter.

"Oh shit. I forgot to text him" I say as I see my phone ringing. "Hey babe. What time should I pick you up." he ask. "Hey. James and I are having lunch. Let's meet back at the auditorium in about an hour?" I say. "Okay baby. I love you" he says before hanging up. "So you two are serious now" James asks. "Yes. He's so amazing and his family as well" I say and he responds with only a nod.

"You've met his family?" he asks trying to keep the conversation going. "Yes" I say dismissively. I don't make any eye contact as I eat the rest of my burger. As I look up I find James sitting back, looking at me with a smile planted across his face. "What?" I say as I feel my face warm up. "You're something else" he says as he shakes his head and chuckles. "James I wasn't even doing anything" I say as a smile appears on my face. "I know. You're just so cute" he says as he finishes his food.

...

"We should do this again." James says as we stop in front of the auditorium. "I don't think that's a good idea" I say as I look for Matthew's car. "Why not" James responds with a puzzled look on his face. "I enjoyed spending time with you, but I don't want to come between you and your wife again" I say and he takes his hand through his hair as he flexes his jaw.

"Don't worry about her. I'll talk to her" he says as he holds my hand. "James I-" I say but stop as Matthew knocks on the window. I let go of James' hand as he rolls his window down. "Good afternoon" James says as he looks at Matthew. "Good day mate" he says then his eyes move to me. "Thanks James. For everything" I say before opening the door and getting out of his car.

I walk over to Matthew and he wraps his arm around my waist. "Well have a nice day then" James says. Matthew gives him a nod and I smile as he drives off. Matthew pulls me closer and gives me a kiss. "Andrea invited us to dinner tonight" he says as we walk to his car. Andrea is his sister and my best friend at this point. Unlike everybody she didn't judge me, instead she supported me and helped me get through everything. When I was living with my mother she would visit me nearly every weekend.

"That sounds great" I say. "You don't have to go you know?" he says as he looks at me. "I do want to go. What makes you think I don't" I say and he looks at me. "You look sad. Did James say or do something to you" he asks as he turns me to look at him. "No, of course not" I say and he looks into my eyes. "Then what's wrong." he asks as he cups my jaw. "Nothing. Just thinking about everything" I say and he gives me a sad smile. "I'm here to listen if you want to talk, okay?" he says as he looks me in the eye. As I nod he gives me a kiss on my forehead.