Chapter 26

James

I sit in the living room going through the guestlist for the launch party as I wait for Cathy to finish preparing. I bought her a gold Givenchy gown hoping it would lighten the mood up but she hasn't said a word for the last two days. After the incident with George, we both decided to take LJ to live with his grandparents for a few days so we can focus on our marriage but all she's done is lock herself up in the room whenever I'm around and any innocent conversation turns into an argument. I haven't even been able to build up the courage to tell her about Mercedes. I'm just hoping that when she sees her tonight she doesn't make a scene. But Cathy knows better than to embarrass me in public.

As I go through the updated list I notice George's name on it. Who the fuck let him come? As she walks down the stairs she doesn't even look at me. She looks beautiful. The dress hugs her curves so gently and it reveals her cleavage slightly. I haven't seen her all dressed up in a while.

"I see you invited George," I say as I clear my throat. I try to keep it lowkey but I can tell she is getting irritated. "Oh, James can we please not do this right now. I told you he's only a friend and if I'm going to enjoy being around your snobby colleagues, it's with him," she says turning to me. "I'm not fighting I'm just asking. It's my launch party, after all, I'm just doing my job," I respond and she turns to me. "It's a public function, he has every right to be there with or without your permission," she says. I stay quiet, to avoid saying things out of anger. "We should get going, if we want to make it before the press," she says then grabs her purse. "Yea," I respond quietly and walk to the door.

Mercedes

"I can't wait to see what the decor team did with the place. Hopefully, it's as amazing as I envisioned it to be," I say as Matthew rubs my thigh. "As long as the food is good, I'm happy," Matthew says and we both chuckle. "I hope they don't expect us to talk to the cameras because that's never going to happen," he says. "I doubt anybody would be looking at us anyway," I say. I hope James has everything covered on his end. The last thing I need is his wife making a dramatic scene. 

Luckily the news about the whole died down quickly. It was a local scandal and never aired on national television. And nobody would be interested in it anymore. I hope the few camera crews that recognize me don't make any eyecatching accusations and articles about me. "The news doesn't know about the whole situation do they?" Matthew asks as if he was reading my mind. "No, not really. The Jacobs never let their personal business out like that. It was only filled as a missing person case when.." I say but I struggle to get the words out of my mouth. The last thing I need on top of the nerves I already have is the memories of the horrible things Rebecca did to me. 

"It's okay babe, you don't have to talk about it," he says patiently. I hold his hand as we pull up to the warehouse. There are lights shining in front of the entrance, and a red carpet leading into the building. As we step out of the car we hear the loud music over the sound of talking paparazzi and flashing cameras. "Well, here we are," Matthew says as he walks to stand next to me. "Smile for the cameras," I say teasing him. He smiles and kisses me on the forehead before we walk into the venue. As we walk in my eye catches a glimpse of Rebecca before a camera flashes in my eye. I cover my eyes with my hand before Matthew and I hurry into the building.  

"Ms. Lopez," one of the paparazzi's shout. I try to look in every direction that I hear my name but I can't even make out what they're asking. I hold Matthew tightly as I can as I try to look for Rebecca once again, but she is nowhere to be found. I choose to ignore it. Maybe it's just my paranoia. I don't want to cause a scene. 

After taking a few pictures Matthew and I walk into the venue. "If it isn't our power couple," Anaiis says with a giggle and nearly spills her champagne. "Whoops," she says again and nearly knocks a tray with beverages over. "Ana, what the fuck?" I say holding her steady. Matthew takes her glass and she aggressively tries to get it back. "I'll get there to her seat, can you get her water or coffee or something? She needs to sober up if she's still going to say her speech tonight," I say and Matthew chuckles. "I think it's better if she doesn't go on stage tonight," he says and looks at me then back to her. "I'll discuss that with James later," I say and lead her to her table. As I sit her down I notice my name next to hers and Matthews on the table next to ours. I try to move my name next to Matthew's but one of the men dressed in black notice me and demand I put them back where 'Mr. Jacobs' initially wanted. "Mr. Jacobs can kiss my ass. There is no way I'm babysitting Ana the whole night," I say in my head.

"You can switch them now. The waiter is gone," Anaiis mumbled as I sat back in the chair. "What," I say as I turn to her. "I know you don't like me," she says as she places her hand under her ching and slams her elbow on the table. "Yea, I think everybody knows that Ana," I say and continue looking for James. "That's sad cause we used to be friends before you stabbed me in the back," she says and takes a sip of the empty wine glass. "Ana I never stabbed you in the back," I say looking her in the eye. "You knew I wanted that job as general manager. I fucking scheduled an interview and all. Then your sexy Swedish Hispanic ass walked into the CEO's office and had everything handed to you on a silver fucking platter," she says.

"That's not true," I say not wanting to entertain her drunk self. "Even if it wasn't true, the fact that you even took the position makes you a snake," she says looking me in the eye. "I was young and broke. I was trying to make a living for myself. You on the other hand are the one who had it all handed on a silver platter by your dear daddy," I say and she laughs. "Jokes on you, cause I haven't even spoken to him in the last eight years. Do you think it's fun being his daughter? Yea it is when people upgrade your hotel suit for free or send you gifts because they think you're some high-class bitch. But when it comes to business, all the corporate giants know exactly who I am and no one wants to hire a reject," she says and starts crying.

"You've got serious fucking issues," I say before standing up as I notice James. I try not to think about what Ana just told me. I don't like the girl but the last thing I want is her waking up tomorrow with embarrassment and regret. She said it all cause she was drunk. It would be unfair of me to let her babble on like that. I wave at James before walking over to where he's standing with McKenzie and to my surprise Andrea.