Chapter 8

Mercedes

I woke up early this morning to make Matthew some breakfast. He's always up early and off to work that he hardly ever gets time for breakfast. I thought to have a proper meal for breakfast would help get his mind off of whatever has been stressing him. 

I look at the food on the table when I'm done. I sigh in satisfaction as he walks into the kitchen. He smiles as he sees me standing behind the counter. "Morning babe, what's the occasion?" he asks as he gives me a kiss and looks at the food. "Just some breakfast for my man," I say as I kiss him again. "We hardly ever see each other anymore. I thought breakfast would be nice to catch up and get your mind off work," I say as he sits down. 

As I dish out for him my phone vibrates on the table. As I pick it up, I notice it's a notification from Instagram. I don't check it, assuming it's from James. I want to focus on Matthew and me today. "Who was that?" he asks as I look back to him. "Just an email," I respond as I put the phone back in my pocket.

I put the plate of food in front of him. He gives me a kiss on the forehead as I sit next to him. "Thank you, my love," he says as he looks at me and smiles.

James

As I walk back into the room after my shower, I find the bed empty. I look around the room to see if Cathy is there. When I realize that she has left the room I sit on the bed. Taking a deep breath I relax my muscles. 

I grab my phone on the bed stand and log in to Instagram. I smile as I see the first picture on my timeline. It's a picture of Mercedes in a sundress. I zoom into her face to see her beautiful smile. I still can't believe how much time has gone by. She has changed so much since the last time she was here.

However she looks beautiful either way. She is very hot but I think I fell in love with her personality not her looks. As I'm about to comment on her post Cathy and LJ walk into the room. "Daddy," LJ says as he runs towards me. Cathy follows behind him and puts a tray of food on the bed. "Hey buddy," I say as he gives me a hug. "What's the occasion?" I ask as I help LJ climb on the bed. 

"Father's day," Cathy says as she sits next to me. I completely forgot about that. She gives me a kiss on the cheek and LJ blushes as he looks at us. Cathy chuckles as she looks back at him. "Look," he says as he points to the plate of food. "Delightful," I say as I take a bite of my sandwich. He claps his hands and smiles as I smile. I give him some bacon and he immediately starts eating it.

"Let's give daddy some space," Cathy says as she picks LJ up. He waves at me over her shoulder before she closes the door behind her.  

Mercedes

As Matthew and I pull up to the restaurant his phone starts ringing. He quickly grabs his phone and checks it. "Who is it?" I ask and he looks to me. "Work. I'm so sorry. Be in, in a minute?" he says as he gives me a kiss. 

I walk into the expensive building. When I get to the reseptionist she asks for my name. She types in the details and asks for a waiter to lead me to my table. When I turn around I bump into somebody. "Hey, careful there," he says as he turns to me. When I look up, to my surprise I find McKenzie standing in front of me. "McKenzie?" I say as I give him a hug. "It's been a minute," he says as he comes out of the hug. 

He looks at me before Matthew walks in the door. "Hey mate," Matthew says as they shake hands. "What a coincidence seeing you two here," McKenzie says before turning back to me. "What brings you out here," Matthew responds and they automatically jump into conversation. And as per usual I'm left in the background. 

Last time McKenzie and I spoke was at the hospital last year. He was so kind afterwards. He even brought me some snack when I was at my mother's. But then we stopped talking. I moved in with Matthew and I moved on with my life.

"Anyway it was great seeing you," he says as he turns back to me. "You too," I respond before he turns to leave. "See you two tomorrow," he says before walking off. "Tomorrow? What's happening tomorrow?" I ask as the waiter leads us to our table. "Work for me. You?" he asks as we sit down. "I don't know," I say as look through the menu.