Chapter 18

Mercedes

After picking up our breakfast burritos, Matthew and I drive to work. "I can get used to this. Driving to work with the love of my life, good music and my favorite food," he says as he rubs my leg. I look at him with a smirk. "Babe since when are breakfast burritos your favorite food," I say and start laughing. "Don't even lie, that was so cheesy and you know it," I say and burst out laughing. "Appreciating the moment is cheesy?," he asks taking a bite of his burrito.

"The way said it though. It's like a scene out of a movie or some shit," I say and he smirks. "Cause with a girl like you life is a movie," he says and my eyes start tearing up. "Babe this burrito tastes so good, but you know what tastes better? You," he says and we both start laughing. 

"You suck. Don't ever do that again," I say as I wipe the tears off of my cheeks. "Don't say you didn't like it because you know you did," he says looking very proud of himself. "No I did not. If you said that on the first date, we probably wouldn't have made it this far," I say and he puts his hand over his chest like I crushed his heart.

"Back in England the girls loved it," he says. "Well have you seen the girls you've dated babe," I say and he laughs. "Come on, they weren't even that bad," he says and I laugh. "Trust me babe they were really bad," I say as we both laugh.

I check my make up as we pull up to  James' business complex. I notice his car on the same spot he used to park it. We can't use the new building just yet, as the interior design crew are still busy with it. For now we will be using the west wing of the Jacobs inc building. 

Matthew holds the door for me as I enter the building. As we climb in the elevator and the doors start to close, they're stopped by a hand. "Sorry," the guy says then enters the elevator. "I'm also going to the third floor. James' new business," he says and I smile. "Really? So are we," I say and he returns the smile. "What a coincidence. Lamar Owens, nice to meet you," he says and holds his hand out for a handshake. "Mercedes and this is my boyfriend Matthew," I say and shake his hand but Matthew only gives him a nod. We awkwardly stand in silence before we arrive on the third floor. "Ladies first," he says and I get out of the elevator. 

Matthew holds my hand as we walk down the hallway and stop by a boardroom marked with an 'IT' sign. As I'm about to kiss Matthew goodbye, I notice Lamar walking into the room as well. "Oh look, you already made a friend on the first day," I say teasing him. "Haha, I'm not here to make friends," he says in a serious tone. I can tell Matthew doesn't like Lamar. Matthew doesn't really like any guys that are nice to me, so I'm not surprised.

"Stop being so serious. Have a great day babe," I say and he gives me a  kiss. "I love you," he says as he looks me in the eyes. "I know you do. I love you too," I say before continuing to walk to James' office. 

As I get to his office I'm stopped by his assistant. "Can I help you ma'am," she says. "No that's alright. James is expecting me," I say and she gives me a nasty look. "Mr. Jacobs, is in a meeting right now. Do you have an appointment," she asks as she folds her arms. "I'm actually working on a project with him," I say and she looks at her computer screen. I don't see your name on his schedule," she says and McKenzie walks out of James' office. "Merc," he says as he opens his arms for a hug. "Hey, how are you," I respond and notice the nasty assistant snobbishly look away. 

"I'm good. I have to get to the others but James and I were just talking about you. He's waiting for you," he says and I smile nonchalantly. "I'll be on my way then," I say returning the nasty look and walking to James' office. "Karry please get James a coffee," I hear McKenzie say. "Make that two, Karry," I say spitefully before entering James' office.