Chapter 33

James
When I arrive home I go straight to my office. As I open the door I find a blanket and a bag with some clothes on the couch. Not too surprised I sigh and sit on the couch. I take my phone out, hoping to find a text from Mercedes. When I find nothing I contemplate texting her but I decide against it.

I can't believe what I just did, but it needed to be done. I needed to stop lying to myself and most importantly her. "Ugh fuck," I shout as I throw my phone on the couch. As it falls I notice the envelope Mercedes handed me. It's probably none of my business but I open it out of curiosity.

When I open it I nearly gasp. 'Resignation Letter' the title of the page reads. I feel my fist balling up and me cheeks turning warm was I continue reading it. What the fuck have I done. The moment I begin to build up the courage to confess my feelings to her and she's trying to get away from me. I pour a glass of whiskey as I start pasing back and forth.

Mercedes
I go through a few of the files I didn't complete yesterday but nothing seems to be making sense. Every time I try to focus on anything my mind drifts back to the scene James caused in my apartment lobby.

I put my face in my hands as I try to get James out of my mind. As I look back up my office door opens and he storms in. "A resignation letter. What the fuck Mercedes, after everything I said last night that's how you hand it to me," James says as he throws the papers on my table. "First of all that little stunt you pulled yesterday was so disrespectful to both Matthew and I and I handed you the wrong papers. I drafted them after what you said about us not being good for each other but the decision was never final," I say and he calms down slightly.

"You can't just ambush me like that," I say softly as I fold my arms. "You never gave me an answer," he says and I roll my eyes in disbelief. "You can't possibly be serious. Now that you've decided to finally put me first I'm supposed to leave everything I've built for myself to be with you," I respond. "Merc you can't say you didn't know this would come," he says coming closer. "No James, I didn't. I came back to make right my wrongs not to entertain your lust. For once in my life I have security, stability, for fuck sake I have someone who loves me and puts me first James," I say moving away from him. "And I can offer you that and so much more," he says as I shake my head. "No. No James, I'm done with the empty promises," I say and grab my handbag before walking out of the office.

As I open my phone I dial Andrea's number. "Andrea I need you," I say as the phone takes me to voicemail.

...
"Merc honey are you okay?" Andrea asks as she rushes to the restaurant table where I'm sitting. As I hear her words I instantly start crying. She sits next to me and starts rubbing my back as she hugs me tightly.

"James fucking showed up at my apartment and confessed his undying love," I say and she sighs. "And that's what got you crying like this?" she asks concerned. "He's getting a divorce. After all this time, how the fuck does he throw a divorce in my face like that. And I can't help but feel guilty for breaking his family up once again. And what the fuck can I do? Walk out again after causing such havoc," I say as I sob into my hands again.

"Girl you were never supposed to walk back into this man's life in first place but you are not to blame for this irresponsible and impulsive behaviour. You did your part with that man and his family," she says and I wipe my tears. Andrea waves the waiter off as he approaches our table.

"I handed him a resignation letter by accident but I'm starting to believe it was a blessing in disguise," I say as I collect myself. "Good, cause you need to get the fuck away from him before this shit blows up in your face," she says as she holds my hand.

I'm more confused than anything about James' decision. I tried to keep healthy boundaries with him, I didn't notice how much he actually feels for me. And I don't know if I can be with a man who is willing to leave everything he has to be with me. His businesses, his family, his only son. I don't know what to do. I don't want to hand James all his desires in a platter. He needs to understand that this isn't as easy as just saying a bunch of vain words and I don't want him to think I was just sitting around waiting for his to value me enough.

Although Andrea's advice is wise, there is a part of me who wants to find out how serious James is about this. If he'll really choose me this time.