Chapter 16

James

After snobbishly looking around the house Samantha stops and turns to look at us. "Yes?" Cathy asks with a smile. "Nothing. Your house is not the best but I'll blame it on the fact that you are first time parents," Samantha says with a sarcastic laugh. I look her in her eyes with a straight face but she keeps smiling. What a fucking idiot she is. I don't know what her intentions are but they are definitely in the wrong place. 

She has shown up way too many times in the past few months. I don't even know her personally but she seems to know every part of me, which makes me uncomfortable. "How is your relationship?" she asks looking at Cathy and me. "Why do you ask?" I say defensively before Cathy can answer. "No need to be defensive Mr. Jacobs, a regular evaluation is required with every visit as it affects the child's emotional, mental, and even physical health," she says in her irritating tone. Every time she opens her mouth I feel like taping it shut. She sounds even more ridiculous than the girls on Pornhub.

"Our relationship is much better now. We communicate better and raising LJ is an enjoyable experience," Cathy says with a smile then gives me a warning look when Samantha takes notes. "Would you mind if I had a minute with LJ," she asks. "No," Cathy responds then takes my hand and leads us to the kitchen. 

We sit on the island across from each other. She looks into my eyes the looks away. "James, this isn't right," she says then looks back at me. "What do you mean," I respond. "All this is fake. I'm mean we both know we're not some happy family. We fight almost daily and you're hardly ever home and I don't think it's fair towards both of us or even LJ. The only thing that can change that is if we both make this work," she says as tears start to roll down her cheeks. "Cath I hear you but I don't think this is the right time to be doing this right now," I say trying not to sound dismissive. 

As Cathy is about to say something Samatha and LJ stand up. I walk towards them so Samantha doesn't notice Cathy crying. "All done?" I say as I walk into the living area. "Yes, where is Cathy," Samantha asks in her irritating tone. "In the kitchen," I say. "Will she not be joining us?" she responds. "For what?" I reply impatiently. "An evaluation," she says with her voice more stern. "No, you can send it via e-mail," I say. "Unfortunately Mr. Jacobs.." she tries to answer. "Cut the Mr. Jacobs bullshit, you know you have no good intentions and I have no time or energy to entertain you either so next time you get sent to my house make sure you decline the offer or I'll personally write a letter to your boss telling him or her about your completely unprofessional behavior. I will also personally sue you for harassing my family and I, I never lose in court," I say and she steps closer to me. "Is that what you do? Go around threatening people that you feel threatened by with money? Money can only get you this far James and when money isn't a solution it'll expose the person you truly are to the world," she says. "Get the fuck out of my house," I say getting irritated.

"Is that how you speak to women in front of your son? Is it how you speak to women in general?" she says and I look down to LJ standing next to me. "Money can change your circumstances but it can never change the person you truly are. Have a great evening," she says before walking out of the house. I pick up LJ and walk to the kitchen.

Mercedes

As Matthew takes a shower I sit on the bed going through the our bills. I take a sip of wine when suddenly his ohone starts ringing. I pick up his phone to see 'no caller ID' written on the screen.

I think of picking it up but I decide against it. Last time I even looked at his phone he got upset. I'm not an idiot, obviously there is something he is hiding but I don't know what it is and I'm also not very keen to find out. What Matthew and I have is something I haven't had in a long time and I don't want to fuck it up just because of my curiosity.

One thing I immediately picked up about Matthew is that he is very insecure and keeps to himself. I haven't had a reason to go through his phone yet and he probably wouldn't mind if I asked. I don't think whatever he's hiding is that bad. I hope.

"You missed a call. No caller ID," I tell him as he walks into the room. "Probably those annoying insurance people," he says then sits next to me.

I carry on looking thriugh the bills as he starts typing on his phone. When I look up i find him looking at me with a smirk. "What?" I respond as my cheeks start to feel warm. "You know I love you right?" He says with his hot accent. "Yea, but I love you more," I say and he shakes his head.

"No way. I love you this much," he says as he strerches his arms. "I love you even more," I say and he laughs. "Your arms are too short babe. You're like a little baby," he says as he holds my hands. "I'm your baby though," I say and he pulls me into his arms.

"Of course you are," he says as he holds me.