Chapter 28

Mercedes

I stand and drink champagne as I talk to several people. "You were right. The food here is really great, you did excellent planning everything," Cathy says as she stands next to me. "Yeah. Thanks, it was all James' idea. Your husband," I respond. I feel like punching myself when I realize what I had just said. "Yes, I'm well aware of who he is. And knowing my husband I know he would never be able to pull anything like this off," she says then smiles. "Surprise then because he did just that," I say and she walks closer.

"We both know that's a lie, Mercedes. How long have you been back," she says. "It's been almost a year now," I say and swallow the lump in my throat. "And out of all the places in LA you chose to work for my husband," she says and I start feeling small. "It was all a coincidence really," I say and she smiles.

"James and I are doing well. Really well," she says then stops. "And LJ?" I say and she gives me a scary glare. "He's none of your concern anymore. He's with us, his parents. Healthy. So how much?" she says looking me in the eye. "Excuse me," I say and she folds her arms and smirks. "Your price to leave for good. Cause clearly fucking my husband and nearly killing my son was not a clear enough indication for you to fuck off. So, how much?" she says with a straight face. "I'm not going anywhere Catherine," I say and she smiles as she starts taking out her checkbook. "Oh don't try acting mature now. You have done some crazy things for money and I know you aren't going to miss an opportunity to get some for free. Legally," she says and continues looking at me.

"Look I don't know what you're referring to but I'm not taking your money. Sorry, we had to get off on the wrong foot again. But I assure you I have no intention of sleeping with James," I say. "Yeah and that's supposed to make sleeping at night easier," she says with a chuckle. "Cathy, you can't blame your issues with James on me alone. You two had problems way before I came along," I say and she gives me a look filled with disgust. She comes closer to me. "I've got eyes everywhere. So choose wisely," she says then walks off to her table. 

I go to my table as I feel my cheeks becoming red. That woman makes my blood boil. "And how did that go?" Andrea asks as I sit next to her. "Her bitchy attitude makes me want to fuck James just to crush her ego," I say and Andrea chuckles. "I'm serious," I say and she takes a sip of her wine. She turns to me. "No, you don't. You're just saying that out of anger. You're better than that, I know it," she says with her flirtatious smile. "Well, the whole world seems to think otherwise," I say and she takes my hand. "Who gives a fuck what the world thinks. You came this far without anybody's opinion so why to start taking them into consideration now?" she says and gives me a kiss on my cheek. How was I blessed with such an amazing friend after all the shit I've done in this world?

"Grab your seats, ladies and gentlemen, it's time for the big moment," James says with a charming smile over the mic. The crowd claps hands and cheers as he makes announcements and a few of his quirky jokes. "Our office has its ups," he says and looks at me with a smile. "And downs," he says, clears his throat then looks at Anna. The crowd laughs at Anna's drunk self who has managed to pass out in her seat. "But we love everybody. Cause here at Jacobs inc. we are a family. A family of lawyers, web designers, accountants, engineers and so much more, but most importantly we are a family of hard-working people who pride ourselves in looking out for each other not just at work but in life," he says, and the crowd claps. 

As James continues talking I look over to Cathy who is sitting in her chair looking sad. She smiles at the waiter who brings her a glass of water then her smile fades as she notices me looking at her. She turns to face the stage and sits confidently. "However the best team of employees must be led by a team of powerful leaders. I have had the pleasure to do business with these three people over the last few years and I have faith in them to lead this new business with me. They are a team of trustworthy, wise, hard-working, driven, and honest people, and I'm honored to finally announce them as the Executives of Jacobs inc. Ladies and Gentlemen our COO, Corey McKenzie," he says and the crowd starts cheering. "Our CFO Mercedes Lopez," he says and I freeze. My heart starts beating fast. I see Matthew and Andrea smiling as I look around me. She helps me stand up. As I walk up the stage I see everybody clapping but Cathy. As I shake James' hand I look into his eyes and he smiles at me. McKenzie gives me a hug as James walks back to the mic. "And our CIO and CBO Lamar Owens," he says and Lamar walks up to the stage.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the management for Jacobs inc," he says and cameras start flashing as everyone starts clapping. When James finishes with his speech I try to talk to him but he rushes off of the stage. I try to look for him but he disappears into the crowd. "Babe, congratulations," Matthew says as he hugs me and picks me up. He puts me down then kisses me. "Beautiful," a camera guy says as we come out of our kiss. Matthew and I chuckle and he takes another picture.