Chapter 23

Mercedes

I wake up to an empty bed again. I brush my teeth and walk into the kitchen. "You're up early... again," I say to Matthew as he's sitting on the couch. "Early bird gets the worm," he says as I  sit next to him. "Is a worm better than morning sex, cause if you come back to bed maybe we can get a little nasty before work," I say leaning closer to him. "That sounds so good right now but I need to have this done by Friday," he says and gives me a kiss on the cheek. "Fuck Matthew you're always working," I say in an irritated tone before walking to the kitchen.

As I boil some water Matthew's phone rings and he stares at it for a while before muting the call. "Can I get a refill too?" he asks. I walk over and take his cup. He hits my ass as I walk away.  As I start walking back to the kitchen I notice his phone ringing silently. I catch a quick glimpse of the contact name before he picks it up.

...

"Here we are," Matthew says as he finds a parking spot. Lamar waves at him as he walks past our car. "I see you guys got along eventually," I say with a chuckle as he awkwardly smiles and waves back. "We're just working colleagues, the least I can do is be polite," he responds. "Call it what you like but soon you'll be going out for beers and having boy's nights," I say and he just smiles and shakes his head. We both get out of the car.

 He holds the door for me as we enter the building. We walk into the elevator and he presses the button for our floor. "I think it's good for you. To finally get out of the house and have some fun," I say and he looks at me. "What do you mean. I do that all the time," he says then turns back to look at the elevator doors. "Business meetings don't count. I mean actually going out and talking about things you both have in common, interests, hobbies, anything but work," I say and he chuckles. 

As the doors open we both step into the air-conditioned hallway.  "You act like I don't have a life," he says. "You said it, not me babe," I say before I give him a kiss as we stop at his office. "Oh dear God, he's staring at us," Matthew says and I don't turn around knowing exactly who he's talking about. I smirk as I see the annoyance in his eye. "Well at least he isn't as bitchy as fucking Karry," I say and we both laugh.

I walk to James' office and greet Karry as I open the door. She doesn't wave back but she gives a little bitchy smile. "I swear Anaiis and Karry are related. They both share this disgusting trait of being bitches," I say and James chuckles. "You must be a triplet because it seems to rub off on you when you're around them," he responds and I sarcastically laugh before throwing my bag on the little couch. 

I pull out the financial report file. "It's nearly nine, where is Ana with that file," I say softly and James goes to pour some whiskey. He puts a glass in front of me before sitting in his chair. "Right there," he says as he points outside his floor-to-ceiling window. I walk over to see Ana stumbling out of her car and into the building. Damn, I would also be walking like that if I was dressed like her. Sky-high stilettos with a blue mini dress. Not to mention the thighs, and messy hairstyle.

"Have a glass, you're going to need it," James says but I push the glass away. "It's not even noon yet. Can't you just have burritos like the rest of us," I say and chuckle? "Burritos? I hate them, especially for breakfast," he says and pulls his face. A few minutes into our conversation James's office phone starts ringing. "Sir, Anaiis," Karry starts speaking but James doesn't allow her to finish. "Yes, let her in," he says then smirks at me. "Well that's your queue Buttercup," he says with a smile and leaves the office as she enters. I give him a look before turning to Ana who looks like shit. "It's only Tuesday how are you hungover?" I say and start laughing.