Chapter 5

Mercedes

I wake up to find Matthew walking out of the bathroom. "How are you up so early. We got home so late after last night's dinner," I say and he walks over to me. "Morning to you too," he says as he kisses me on my cheek. "I have a shoot in town today," he says as he continues buttoning up his shirt. "Oh ok," I say as I go into the bathroom. As I'm brushing my teeth a lot of notifications start blowing up his phone. "Somebody is really dying to reach you," I say as I grab it off of the sink. I'm about to switch it on as he takes it from out of my hand. "Donovan, he's already there even though we don't start for another hour," he says with a chuckle as he shakes his head.

"What time do you finish?" I ask. "It depends, but if all goes well maybe at around lunchtime. We can go grab something to eat" he says as he wraps his hands around my waist. He gives me a kiss as he looks me in the eye. "Or you can come home and have me for lunch," I say nonchalantly as I walk into the room. "That could work," he says as he looks at my body. "Then it's a date," I say adjusting his collar. As I start kissing his neck his phone rings and he picks it up. I throw myself on the bed as he starts talking. 

As I grab my phone off of the bed stand I see the notification from yesterday.

jamesjacobs_ started following you.

I still haven't checked his Instagram account. I don't want to look like a stalker. I switch my phone back off as Matthew ends his call. "Babe I need to go, something happened at the venue," he says as he quickly grabs his jacket. He gives me a peck before rushing out of the house. As he closes the door my phone starts ringing. 

I pick it up and see Andrea's name on the screen. "Hey, girl. Do you know where the hell my brother is? He isn't responding to my texts," she says. "He just left in a rush," I say and she sighs probably rolling her eyes. "Anyway, you wanna grab some brunch," she says optimistically. "Okay. Meet you at the cafe in an hour?" I say and she responds with a yes. 

As I'm about to walk into the shower I get a notification on my phone. I'm pleasantly surprised when I see It's from Instagram. 

jamesjacobs_: Hi :)

I smile before climbing into the shower.

...

As I walk out of the house opening the garage I see my little pride and joy. After settling in with Matthew I bought myself a car. An Audi to be more specific. It's nothing too fancy but it's honestly one of my best investments yet. I hardly ever get out of the house by myself to drive it, but whenever I do, I enjoy it very much. 

I climb in the car, still inhaling the smell of new leather seats. I look into the rearview mirror to see my smiling reflection looking back at me. As I start up the engine I receive another notification on my phone. It's from Andrea, but I completely ignore it as I focus on the one from James. 

me: hi friend.

I respond to his dm before going to the location Andrea sent me. As I drive around singing along to Kehlani, I hear ping sounds coming from my phone. After finding a good parking spot in front of the cafe I open the texts from James.

jamesjacobs_: we're friends now??

jamesjacobs_: anyways 'friend', how are you?

me: Yes we're friends wym?? I'm good.

jamesjacobs_: great. are you going to ask how I am? smh

me: maybe.

jamesjacobs_: mmmcht

me: *rolls my eyes* how are you weirdo?

As I'm busy having a conversation with him Andrea knocks on my window. "Do you wanna come inside and have brunch with me or stay here with your phone?" she says as I climb out of the car. "I'm doing quite well, thank you for asking Andrea," I say sarcastically before taking a seat. She rolls her eyes before calling a waiter over.