confrontation

TW: MENTION OF SUICIDE

After everything that happened at school, I planned to go home, relax, and maybe take a nap. Like regular routine, Sam and I walked Darryl to the orphanage and walked ourselves home.

We walked home quickly since all I wanted to do was lie down. As soon as I get home, I change into comfortable clothes and lie down onto my bed.

I take a short nap before I hear my parents yelling for me to come downstairs. It was dinner time. I groan and massage my head to ease up my mind. I run downstairs and take a seat at the dining table. I really didn't want to talk to my parents so I decided to just try to stay as silent as I can.

My family gathers around the dining table, passing around the food. I lay my head down on my hand, showing no interest with spending time with them. When my parents ask me anything I just shrug, trying to show them that them trying to separate Darryl from me will only make me distance myself from them.

My dad started to notice this. "Zak, we're just doing what's best for you. That boy is rotting your brain. Did you break up with yet?"

I stare him dead in the eye, he's such an idiot. "Breakup with the reason I'm alive? You're an idiot if you think I'm breaking up with Darryl,"

"Zak, we talked about this. It's not natural. This is all a phase, and we're just protecting you from heartbreak when you realize that,"

"Are you serious?" I snap, "When did you choose to be straight, when did you choose to fall in love with mom? I didn't choose this, but this doesn't make me any different from anyone else. As I said last time, I love him and nothing is going to change about that,"

There was some silence, maybe because they started to understand my point. "What did that boy do to my son," my dad mumbles.

"Did you hear how stupid you sound? Your son would be dead, and his body would be at the bottom of the ocean if it wasn't for 'that boy'"

I immediately regret saying that. Now I'm being bombarded with questions. "What do you mean, 'dead at the bottom of the ocean,'" my dad asks in a strict tone.

I try to ignore the questions, but they only got repeated. I could tell Sam and my mom understood and were petrified. "Zak, explain!" My dad demanded.

"Nothing," I mutter.

"Zak?" My mom calls in a sincere tone, "we're you trying to-?"

I scoot my chair outwards from the table. "Yes! Yes, okay! I'm only here because of him, I love him more than anything. He's made me felt a way I've never felt and you guys distancing me from him will only make me go back to that state of my life," my eyes and throat feel dry.

I sigh and grab water from the fridge and walk upstairs. I hear them call my name to come back down and explain, but I ignore them. I chug my bottle of water before opening up my door.

"Fuck you guys," I yell before slamming my door shut and locking it.

———

The next morning, I wake up. Sun blinded my eyes. I get up and close my blinds while rubbing one of my eyes. I knew I needed to face my parents downstairs. Maybe they would understand my point after I told about what had happened yesterday.

I checked the time, I woke up earlier than I should've so I took that to my advantage. I turned off my alarm so it wouldn't play later on. I rushed to my bathroom and brushed my teeth and got changed.

I walked out of my house without waking anyone up. I decided to go to the orphanage, to wait for Darryl so maybe we could walk to school together. I make my way over, as I walk the higher the sun rises. It was still early but it was still hot, especially for winter.