october 15th

I woke up with sunlight blaring in my eyes. I picked up my phone. It was 6:14, a minute before my alarm went off. Today is a day I've been planning for. Today, October 15, I was planning to end it all. But I had to get through school first. It was a Friday after all.

Thoughts about later in the day swarmed in my mind as I watched the sun through my window. I looked down at my dog, Rocco, who was staring at me with a sad expression, as if he knew.

I gave him a warm smile and pet him on his head. I got up from my bed and put on a sea blue hoodie. I put on khaki shorts and went downstairs to my kitchen to find nothing on the dining table.

I frowned. I was hoping I would at least have a good last breakfast. I sighed and opened the fridge. I poured myself orange juice and toasted a pop-tart. It was red velvet with cream cheese frosting.

I sipped on my orange juice as I waited for the pop tarts to jump out of the toaster. I checked if I had any texts. A few from my friend, Vincent. He was asking about homework. I forgot to do homework, but I figured I'd be fine. I'd get a week in detention for doing no work, but it wouldn't matter. This was my last day anyways.

Once again, I got lost in my thoughts until I heard the poptarts jump up in the toaster. I picked them up and put them on a napkin. I couldn't be bothered to pack lunch. I gobbled down the pop tarts and grabbed my back pack and walked to school.

I put my phone in the pocket of my backpack, feeling it vibrate. I suspected I was getting spammed from Vincent since I left him on read. I wasn't great friends with Vincent, we had only known each other about 2 weeks.

I walked to the entrance of the school. I saw Vincent typing on his phone furiously. I thought I would just walk past him without him noticing me. I tried walking by I heard him call my name as I went past him. I turned to face him pretending like I was confused.

"Zak!" Vincent called out. "Why weren't you answering my texts!"

I scratched my head. "I didn't know you were texting" I lied.

"Mhm. It says 'read' y'know." Vincent raised an eyebrow.

I giggled nervously, hand on the back of my head. "Sorry" I said in a quiet tone.

He smiled. "Let's go inside. You'll help me there." He started walking to me.

He started entering the building together. "I didn't do the homework." I whispered.

"What! Who would help me then!" He whined. His French accent made me laugh.

"I dunno. Ask Clay." I patted his shoulder.

I went to advisory and took a seat near the back. Vincent took the one on the left to me. I chose a seat near the window. I saw brown and golden leaves scattered on the floor.

I checked my phone. 8:26. School was starting soon. Vincent watched the door as Clay came in. Clay was talking to his friend George. Clay and George came over to Vincent.

"Can you help me with homework?" Vincent asked Clay.

Clay sighed putting his hands in his pocket. "Ask Zak." I turned away from the window and looked at them.

"He didn't do it." Vincent said sighing too now.

The bell rang. "Never mind" Vincent mumbled.

Today I decided to listen to the names the teacher call out. Hearing every name I could. I was the first name called since my last name started with an 'a'.

"Ahmed, Zak" my advisory teacher, Mr. Racket called out.

"Here."

"Anderson, George."

"Here." My friend Geo called out.

Names of people I never heard of were called. I guess I should've listened since these people are my classmates after all.

Names of people were names like : Lizzie, Brian, Damon, Tiffany, Scott, Darryl, Finn, Arran, Valerie, and Tracie.

The bell rang again. 8:45 now. I had 15 minutes until my next class. I went to my locker alone and got my history notebook and text book.

I entered class to claim a seat. History flew by. We learned a lot about a war. Next was science. I learned about how machinery works by my teacher Mr. Mumbo. My next class was my class before lunch. It was computer science.

We had to do something new today. We had to come up with an idea for a website to program. We had to work with a partner that they had chosen for us.

I was partners with Darryl the boy from homeroom. I sat next to him, but we had to share a seat because there was one computer, one chair and we both didn't want to stand. (Everyone shared seats with their partners)

I barely knew him so it wasn't too bad.  He suggested  a fantasy. Maybe people going on a quest to defeat something. Sounded like a good idea. I felt bad that I was going to leave him to program it by himself.

He went in about his ideas. Start by getting your materials until your strong enough to go to a fiery pit-so like hell- then you have to journey to a another place that's in the void and defeat a dragon.

I sighed feeling bad he would do this all alone. After we figured out our ideas we had time to talk. We had an amazing talk. Talking about our favorite foods, places, our dogs our friends. I noticed him stare at my face while I looked away from his.

"I was wondering." Darryl started to say. "Do you maybe want to hang out tomorrow?"

"Sure" I said knowing I wouldn't be able to.

Poor boy.

———————————————————————————
Thank you for reading Part 1 :)

I hope you enjoyed, See you in the next part!
—————————————————————————