revelry

~Zak's POV~

I spent some time upstairs with Darryl. I tried my best to encourage him that he was doing a great job. Once I was done with that, we decided to check up on the party. I took Darryl's hand as we exited the room and I safely guided him to party.

Once we were downstairs, the smell of booze and sweat filled our senses. He sighed at the sight of the place. It had seemed like two drunk boys had gotten into a fight and the whole room was put into shambles. The couch had scratches, even more cups appeared on the floor, food thrown around and two boys seemed to be passed out- one being Nick.

The other boy seemed recognizable. I've seen him before, I believe it was Niki's birthday party. I'm pretty sure his name was Alex. He was the one flirting with Darryl a bunch. The one I texted Clay about. After the party, I haven't talked to him or any of the other guests after.

Both Nick and Alex looked pretty beat up. That probably explained the constant chanting I heard when talking to the Idots. Darryl had one look around the house and already decided that being downstairs was too stressful. "Get George. We need George."

I nod, facing the opposite direction and pull Darryl upstairs with me. Darryl shows me where George's room is and knocks. We hear small movements from inside the room, subtle shifting of bed covers and whispering. "Shit," we heard a voice. The voice belonged to Clay.

The door unlocks, Darryl turns the knob letting the two of us in. Darryl squints his eyes as he enters. The room was a lot brighter than downstairs. George seemed to sit on his bed, awkwardly looking around at anything except the three of us. George's face seemed really, really red. Clays face was just as red. Darryl tilted his head, taking my hand to hold in comfort. I look at Clay with a smug look, an eyebrow raised and a smirk plastered across my face. Clay backed off from our stare and laughed nervously.

"What do you guys want," George says flatly, demanding more than asking.

"Anyways," I hear Darryl whisper as he looks away from both me and Clay. He darts his eyes around the room and chooses to focus his sight on George. "George! There's chaos going on downstairs!"

George scoffs, rubbing his forehead. He sits at the side of his bed. He shares a glance with Clay and instantly looks away again. Clay seemed to be smiling. George was doing the exact opposite. Something was going on. "So? What do you want me to do about it."

Darryl huffs, tightening his grip on my hand. "I want you to do something about it? I worked my butt of just to convince the orphanage workers to let me stay here for a day or less and I do not want to spend my whole time here with a headache."

George sighs. Finally, he gets up from bed. He stares at Darryl and Darryl only. I look at Clay. He's focused on George. George sighs for a second time and passes Darryl, leaving the room. I look at the two other boys. Darryl follows George so I follow too. Clay tags along as well.

George coughs as he speeds downstairs. He plugs his nose, fanning the air. "What is this smell? Who let alcohol in here? I thought we specifically said no liquor and no drugs."

Darryl lets out an empty sigh, shuffling into a sitting position on the stairs. "People can be such muffinheads sometimes."

Clay snickers. George approaches Valerie. Sam seemed to be intoxicated while Valerie took her side. George mouth moves but from the distance that's spacing us, I'm unable to hear what he says. Valerie mouth moves back, George's expression stresses as it does. I hear one thing, a groan. George returns to us. "There's not much I could do. What did you expect. We allowed the whole school to come. Of course there's going to be fights. Of course there's going to be alcohol. Of course there's going to be drugs."

I pull Clay by the hood, pulling him upstairs. I giggle and eventually let go when he finally catches on a follows willingly. Once we made it upstairs, Clay seemed to be confused. He kept his body tense and his facial expressions muddled. Clay was just as red as he was when we walked in.

"What?" Clay asks.

"You probably know why I brought you up here for," I laugh.

Our stare breaks. "I don't."

I laugh again, trying to ease the tension. "What was up with you and George?"

Clay blows, not giving me a response. "We were just talking."

Somehow, Clay's face gets redder. "Nothing. We just-," he pauses. "Talked," Clay trips on finding the right words, telling me that he's lying.

"Mhm. What were you guys talking about."

Clay scoffs, crossing his arms. "That's none of your business. It's private."

I take a step back, laughing. "Yeah yeah. You know you can tell me! I'm like the only person that knows. So, what actually happened?"

"Fine," he leans in close my ear. "Fuck off," whispers. Jokingly I think.

"Just tell me!"

Clay thinks. He smiles as he gets up with his thoughts, he leans in near my ear again and whispers. "It was just a kiss."

I gasp loudly. Clay immediately shuts me up by placing his hand over my mouth. "Shut up. Shut up. Don't you dare tell anyone or I kill you," I can't tell if that's a joke or not since I have seen Clay kill people before.

Clay promptly takes his hand off of my mouth, freeing me to let out a squeal. His face seems to calm, he leaves me to follow him back downstairs. Clay stands, guarding George and Darryl from behind. I sit next to Darryl. I'm able to feel Clay's presence behind us.

"Jeez," I hear Darryl exhale.

I help myself up, holding my hand out for Darryl to take. He looked up at me while gently laying his hand on mine. I pull him up, his face close to mine. I pull his hand to the food table. I try to keep my mind off of George and Clay. I was happy for my friend but I hated the feeling of overexcitement. It drained too much energy so spending some time eating with Darryl would probably calm me down.

I lean against the counter, picking my favorite foods to sort on a paper plate and eat. Darryl is still confused onto why I brought him. Loud ruckus summons behind us, the chaos fills the party. There were two girls across us, talking. They were the cliché mean girls of the school. Gossip, popular, cheerleaders. I payed no attention to them as they sipped on their cups of alcohol. I sigh, grabbing chicken wings, Cajun fries, and ranch. I turn to Darryl, teasingly poking his cheek with a fry. "Want anything."

"Hm. No thanks."

I nod as I shrug it off. "Hey Darr?"

"Hmm?"

I pull the chest of the sweater, pulling him closer to me. He's nervous as to why I did that. "So. This is a pretty dumb question. The answer is probably obvious, but," I lower my voice as the two gossip girls pass us to explore back to the party. "Will you go with prom with me?"

He giggles, stuffing one of my fries in his mouth.

"Dummy. 'Course I will!"

——————————————————————————
Thank you for reading part 42 :)

Feel free to give suggestions and vote if you enjoyed!
——————————————————————————