guilt

TW:GUN MENTION, DEAD BODY MENTION

Shortly I fell asleep, a bright light beamed onto my face. I opened my eyes and I was in a dark tunnel and the light led the way to the exit. I followed it, and suddenly the same pistol I used to shoot Darryl's dad appeared in my hand.

Blood splattered over me. I was wearing my favorite sweater. The corpses of Schlatt and Darryl's parents appeared from in front of me. Darryl stood in front me as well. He was crying and holding onto his parent's bodies.

He was covered in his parent's blood. He looked up at me holding the pistol.

"How could you, Zak."

My heart ached and I dropped the pistol. I walked towards Darryl, but he backed up in fear. He was scared of me.

"Darryl, please. You have to understand this was for you. This was for us."

Tears dripped down his face. "You killed my parents."

"They hurt you. I was trying to help you."

"This didn't help at all. It only made things worse."

He stood in front of me in fear and clenched onto his parents' dead corpse. He looked up at me with big teary eyes.

"You monster."

Everything got loud. The space between the light and dark turned into a big colorful room. The colors shifted to make a big pixel. Darryl was in my arms. He was still crying but this time he had a smile. I had one hand on his head, clenching on his hair. The other hand was bent in an odd way. I was holding something.

Blood dripped from Darryl's mouth. "I'm so sorry." I said without control of my words.

"I love you. Thank you," Darryl whispered in my ear.

I let Darryl go of my grasp. I took a good look at him. He had a knife lodged in his chest. The knife was the thing I was holding earlier. My heart started beating fast. Did I do that?

"Darryl? D-did I do that?"

He hugged me and nuzzled his head to my neck. His tear dropped onto my neck. It was warm and comforting. "I'm sorry."

My eyes started to immerse in tears. "Please."

———

I woke up in a cold sweat. I sat up and sighed. It was just a dream. I heard a knock on the front door of my house. I checked the time. 2:36 A.M.

I pulled a sweater over my shirt and walked downstairs. My dad had opened the door and was talking to our guest. I checked to see who it was.

It was Darryl, he was shaking and asking to see me. I stood next to my dad. "Darryl?" I said sleepily.

He ran over to me. He hugged tightly. "They're gone. My brother texted me. They're gone," He said through tears.

My heart dropped. It was like my dream. I hugged him back. "Who's gone?" I asked slowly, even though I knew who he was talking about.

We walked over to the living room couch. He curled up his legs against his chest and wrapped his arms around them. I put my arm around him. My dad looked at me confused. I nodded as a cue for him to leave. He did.

Darryl's hair wasn't fixed and he was in still in his pajamas. He looked tired. His cheeks were red and his lips were quivering. "What happened?"

He looked up at me and looked back down and rested his head on his arms. "My brother. He kept calling me, but I didn't answer because I was scared he would find me if I did. So he texted me. He told me-" his voice kept breaking up.