family dinners

TW: HOMOPHOBIA

I look to face Darryl. He was staring soullessly at the floor. I place my hand around him and kiss his cheek.

"I'm willing to take the risk," I say, trying to make sure he doesn't break up with me at this moment. He smiles softly at me before he frowns again. I put my face in front of his, "Look. You saved me. I'll love you forever, and if I lose you, I'll lose myself,"

He stares at me, blinking every other second. Slowly he leans in closer to my face, I felt our lips connect. I was shocked for a moment, before I close my eyes and learn to enjoy it.

Once our lips separate, I look to his face. Slightly red, but cute. He giggled before standing up. He helped me up too.

"Alright muffin-head, let's go back now," I nod. We walk back to the cafeteria, "Thanks,"

"No problem,"I could feel myself smiling like an idiot, "Hey, and don't worry about anyone hurting you and me, because I'll protect us,"

We stopped at the door way of the cafeteria where he giggled. "You're not very big though,"

"I'm not very big but I'll protect you," I tell him as we walk over to the table. We sit down and hold hands under the table. The others were talking about was winter break coming up. I planned on spending some days with Darryl.

We a few weeks until break. I could tell Clay seemed a bit bummed out. He was slouched in his seat, barley touching his food. I could tell he had a lot on his mind.

I kick him from under the table. He looks up at me. I nod my head toward the door, signaling to talk out in the hall. I separate my hand from Darryl's, and we walk talk near the doorway of the cafeteria. There was loud chatter coming from the cafeteria, so no one would be able to hear us. We sit against the wall.

"What's wrong?" I ask him. He looks at me before going hiding his face in his arms.

"This whole Vincent thing has been screwing with my brain," Clay peeks his head and stares at his shaky hands, "I feel so guilty. He was one of my closest friends. And he's gone because of an understanding, I can't live with myself after that,"

I sigh. "I totally understand if you don-"

"No," he interrupts me, "We need to avenge him,"

I nod. Awkwardness was in the air as Clay and I just sat there, silently, as the cafeteria kids talked amongst themselves loudly. I clear my throat trying to break the silence.

"So, have you ever thought about telling George your feelings?"

He shrugs. "I was thinking around Christmas, but my Christmas would stink if I get rejected,"

I nod faintly. "You could wait for prom. It's right around the corner, plus it's in February so it's like a Valentines dance,"

He nods. "Yeah, but if I get rejected, it's like spending Valentine's Day alone,"

"You can always go with friends. How about you ask George to prom, if he says yes go with him, and if he says no, Darryl and I will go with you,"

Clay groaned. "I'm just going to third wheel the whole time,"

I laugh a little. "I'm sure George will say yes. You're a great guy,"

He smiles up at me. "Thanks Zak,"

I nod and stand up. I lend him a hand and help him up. "Come on now," We head back to the table. I take a seat next to Darryl again and Clay sits nexts to George.