prom prince

Last chapter :D

Btw if the last chapter wasn't finished for you, check again!! It should be fixed now

Sorry this chapter took so long to write :(

~Zak's POV~

Prom! The day had finally come.

Darryl and I were secretly going as dates. We both weren't show what to expect. All we knew was that there was going to be a room loaded with juniors and seniors, loud music that would slow to a nice waltz, and pretty love decorations. Most of the event was organized by Valerie who was still debating whether she would come or not.

The entire thing was hosted at a local event center, which the school had rented out, only allowing people with special passes to get in. We had decided on a prom group. The group had included Clay, George, Darryl, Sam, Sam's date, and me. We had all collectively agreed that we didn't want prom pics since Darryl and I were not publicly dating and George and Clay's relationship was still unlabeled.

The thing was Clay had asked George to be his date  yesterday; it ended with George saying yes. Clay tells me they're going as dates to try it out, but they're not officially dating. Not yet at least. Because of that fact, George and Clay agreed with us that there was no point in taking pictures. We always still had senior year.

The only people of the group that had been on board of the ideas of prom pictures were Sam and her date. It seemed unfair to us since they hadn't listened to our input of the situation. But they were in our group so we had to agree. The two had decided that the ideal place for pictures was the beach. A place of nostalgia for Darryl and I. The place where he shared our first date.

The pair had prepared a professional photographer along with renting a party bus without telling the rest of us. They had everything planned out and didn't even bother to ask if we were fine with it all. It was awkward for the four of us. We played it off as us going as friends and Sam and her date being the only dates.

As we drove in the party bus, I could feel us four junior boys felt awkward in that bus. The two others seemed to be having a blast. Picking the songs to play, spreading false information to each other, and laughing loudly to dumb jokes. When we finally arrived to the beach, it felt like all four of us were third wheeling. I constantly watched the time on my phone, counting down the seconds until we were finally able to go to the actual thing.

As I watch Sam's date wrap the corsage around her wrist, I finally pay attention to everyone else's attire. It had seemed like Darryl and I were the only two that doesn't to swerve around the traditional tuxedo. I felt a bit out of place, but it didn't matter. We looked better anyways.

One last awkward picture was taken, Sam, in the arm of her date. Being honest, Sam's date was a sophomore; they had no real romantic tension. Not even any platonic tension. They had no connection, no balance of energies. That to me meant that her date was only using her to get in the event. Cheap really. It all lined up. Sam was oblivious, he was "charming". Unfair to Valerie mostly. Once the pictures were finally finished, the photographer had asked us, the group, if we wanted to take a group photo.

I didn't want to. The other three didn't care whether we did or not, so eventually we were forced too. I felt myself pull into an awkwardly pose, shifting into a new one every time a light flashed.

Finally, we were heading to the event center. The ride there was just as awkward as the ride to the beach. Sam and her date talked loudly while we kept our conversation down to a whisper. "Bet you 10 bucks that her date will ditch her as soon as we get in," I whisper to Darryl, earning a scolding look from him. He nudges me roughly.