Chapter Twenty-Six

Madelyn had never once in her life thought that someday she would be in a castle, sneaking around with a secret boyfriend. Yet here she was doing exactly that. In fact, she was surprised nobody had caught them yet.

Madelyn had somehow grown accustomed to wearing dresses every day and had also somehow managed to look fairly graceful when she walked. Of course, there were a few times when she barely stopped herself from tripping over, but she had improved.

The castle was so huge, you could walk on for quite a while before even running into anyone else. Madelyn was trying to find Susan. Susan had told her she'd be in the library but wasn't there when Madelyn tried to find her.

Madelyn was just about to walk into a room when an arm wrapped around her waist and a hand covered her mouth, pulling her into a corner. Madelyn's first instinct was to try to get away so of course, she fought hard. She only stopped fighting when she saw the face that went with the hands. It was Edmund. He slowly took his arm away from her waist before raising it up and putting a finger to his lips. Finally, he took his hand off her mouth.

"Ed, what are you doing?" She said it with a small giggle. Her back was against the wall with Edmund close against her.

"I wanted to see you. You got scared. Did you think I was going to kill you?" He raised an eyebrow at her with an amused smirk.

"Yeah well, what else would I think? So you wanted to see me?" Her eyes glimmered.

"Why wouldn't I? You the most beautiful girl in the world and now I can call you mine." Madelyn bit her lip, trying to hide her giddy smile.

"Stop you're going to make me cry." Her nose scrunched up. Edmund chuckled.

"So where are you off to?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"I'm trying to find Susan. She said she'd be in the library but she wasn't there when I went there."

"Okay well, a few more seconds won't hurt." A small smirk made its way into his face.

"Why what did you want to do?" She was genuinely confused.

"This." He leaned closer to her, letting his lips touch hers. His hand found its way to her neck tracing her jaw lightly and the other wrapped tightly around her waist. She had one hand in his hair, and one on the back of his neck.

Every little touch made the butterflies in her stomach go crazy. She felt tingles everywhere he touched her. Their lips moved in sync and by the time they pulled away, they were both slightly out of breath.

An excited smile made its way onto her face.

"What?" His eyebrows drew in.

"I have butterflies in my stomach." She said it between light laughs.

Looking at her, all he could think was how cute she was and how lucky he felt.

"Okay wait. I'll see you later but now I have to get to Susan." He gave her a small, playful frown.

"But before I go," Madelyn lightly pulled him in by his collar, giving him one last short kiss.

Walking away, she could feel her cheeks burning. Of course, not everything had changed. A small part of her old self was screaming at her for trusting someone so much as she did with Edmund. It's just that something inside compelled her to trust him. She couldn't help it.

***

The evening came quickly and the entire day passed in a drowsy fashion. Madelyn felt lazier than ever and spent most of the day laying on her favorite chair in the library. Edmund had been with her most of the time and she suspected his day was going the same way. He left her a while before when he'd been called by Peter.