Chapter Twenty-Two

As she stood in the front with Peter and Edmund with her sword held up, the Telmarines launched their catapult. Time seemed to slow as the boulder hurled towards them quicker than Madelyn could think and that's when she felt the panic. The odd part about it though was that even though the panic, nothing felt real. It felt like after this all ended, she would just wake up in her bed, thinking about the funny dream she had.

As the boulders hit the ground, the ground shook as if there was a massive earthquake. Many Narnians were thrown off balance. Madelyn gripped her sword tighter in both her hands and took a deep breath before squaring her shoulders slightly. 

Somehow, all of her senses felt heightened. Sure, her vision had always been pretty close to perfect, but everything looked a hundred times clearer. All the pain from her old wounds had filtered away, leaving plain energy. If she had to guess, she would say it was the adrenaline.

The battle had barely even started and there was already so much destruction. Despite all of this, adrenaline pumped through Madelyn's veins and she couldn't help but feel just a little excited.

The Telamrine cavalry was standing, ready to charge. Glozelle raised his sword and stood still for s split second. At that moment, there was the last silence before the chaos. 

"Attack!" With that order from Glozelle, the men in the Telmarine cavalry, shouted, advancing towards the How with raised swords. Madelyn gritted her teeth, exchanging glances with Edmund.

With a calm composure, Peter started counting from one.

"One, two," Madelyn positioned herself with one foot slightly in front of the other and taking a deep breath.

"Three, four," The Telmarins advanced closer and closer by the second.

"Five, six," Part of her wished this part could go faster. All it did was raise her anxiety.

"Seven, eight," It was happening. Madelyn nodded at Edmund. 

"Nine," It felt like the closer they got to ten, the slower time went.

"Get ready!" Peter's voice boomed even through the noise of both the sides charging. Madelyn heard the low grumbling and already knew what was happening. Just as the Telmarines were close to approaching them, the ground beneath them gave in, crumbling down. An overwhelming amount of Telmarine soldiers and horses fell in the pit. If there wasn't a literal war going on, Madelyn would've been increasingly worried about the horses, but she had no time to think about that.

Right as the Telmarines paused on the other side of the pit, a shower of arrows came down on them from the Narnian archers.

Peter raised his sword, ordering the Narnians to charge. Just as he said it, Edmund grabbed onto the reins of a horse galloping by, climbing onto it. He held out a hand for Madelyn, which she grabbed onto tightly. With ease, he pulled her onto the horse behind him. She didn't intend on just staying behind Edmund the entire time, but where she was planning on going- the middle of the Telmarines- a horse would be a lot quicker than running. Edmund held the reins of the horse with one hand and a crossbow in the other. Madelyn had one arm around Edmund's torso and a sword in the other. 

As they reached the pit, Madelyn leaned over whispering into Edmund's ear.

"Thanks for the ride." She shot him a smirk with a nod before jumping off the horse. Madelyn ran over towards the pit, seeing Reepicheep on the way over. She heard him muttering something about the Telmarines having no imagination and already knew it was about them being shocked that he was a mouse.

Madelyn saw lunged at a few Telmarine soldiers, slicing one on the back.  As they noticed her, four large men came for her. She used her size as an advantage and ducked down, rolling, and bringing her sword swiftly down on their legs.