Chapter Thirty-Six

She woke with a gasp with the sheets gripped so tight in her hands that she was afraid they would rip. Her cheeks had hot tears on them that she immediately wiped away with her trembling hands. The air felt heavy. So heavy that she couldn't breathe. No matter how many breaths she took, her chest felt like it was collapsing in on itself and she couldn't stop it.

Madelyn clasped her hands together trying to stop the shaking. It didn't stop.

Although the last thing Madelyn wanted to do was think about the dream she'd had, she couldn't stop her mind from going back to it. The odd part was though, by the time she'd opened her eyes, the dream was no longer even in her memories. Although she didn't remember the dream anymore, she knew that it was different. The dream was different from the recurring dream she had been having the past year.

Madelyn put her head in her hands and squeezed her eyes shut so tight she started seeing little shapes in her vision. She tried to take deep and controlled breaths to calm herself and although to an extent it worked, her hands still shook if she held them up.

Madelyn found herself in a quarters with Lucy who was still in deep sleep. Something told Madelyn that sleep wouldn't come easy to her again that night. In fact, sleep was the last thing on her mind.

After tossing and turning for god knows how long, she finally decided that it was quite a waste of time to even try for the time being. Besides, the longer she stayed in the room the more she felt as if she was suffocating. The room felt as if it was getting smaller by the moment and at one point, she couldn't take any more of it. Her best idea was to go outside where there was fresh air that she hoped would make her feel better.

She prayed that it would make her feel better.

Making sure not to wake Lucy, Madelyn slowly pushed the covers off herself and stood up. After a short glance back at Lucy, who was still sleeping, she made her way towards the door, turning the knob and pushing it open.

The entire ship was silent except for the sound of the ocean's waves crashing against each other. Although to most people it might've been relaxing, Madelyn felt far from relaxed.

The thing she craved the most at that moment was silence. Relaxation. Yet, there was a constant noise in her head that was almost unbearable. The only times the noise took a backseat was when her true surroundings were also loud. Not the best options. She knew that.

Unfortunately, with everyone asleep, the silence was all there was and she would just have to deal with the noise that filled her head.

Stepping out onto the deck, she felt the cold ocean breeze on her skin, making the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. A small shiver went down her spine. She hugged her arms close to her chest as she walked, breathing in the salty ocean air that somehow felt a bit comforting.

It was a lot windier than it had been during the day. Her hair whipped around, getting tangled. But she didn't care. She looked up at the sky seeing the moon which just happened to be full that night. The night was perfectly clear with thousands of stars littering the sky. It made her think of Finchley and how the stars were never so perfectly visible there.

She went to the ledge of the ship, looking out over the ocean that in the moonlight looked black as tar. And she realized that it scared her. She had no idea what was under the inky surface of the water.

Madelyn took a deep breath, letting out a sigh. As she let out the sigh, a tear fell to her cheek, surprising her.

She couldn't remember the last time she'd cried and quite honestly, she didn't even know why exactly she was crying now. Maybe it all piled up in her and this was how much she could handle. Once the first tear fell, she couldn't stop the rest from falling.