Chapter Seven

"Susan." Her voice came out a little hoarse and her eyes were wide in the darkness.

"You awake?" Madelyn was leaning over towards Susan, whispering to make sure she didn't wake Lucy. There was a blanket of silence that her whispers cut through like a knife.

The three girls shared sleeping quarters. It had already been around two hours past midnight and Susan and Lucy had fallen asleep a few hours ago, unlike Madelyn who hadn't been able to sleep yet. She'd been lying there with open eyes and boredom that ate away at her mind. Sleep had never really come easy to her and it wasn't uncommon for her to lay awake all night sometimes.

Thinking about it now, it was a stupid question to ask since Madelyn already knew Susan was asleep. She just needed to talk to someone about whatever. Like she'd told Lucy on her first day here, she got bored quickly and it wasn't just a problem for her, but it was also a problem for others. This was because when she got bored, she would pester others. It was an entire cycle.

Madelyn had always had a hard time relaxing. The thing was, Madelyn's mind was always alert and racing. Madelyn was constantly thinking about something, but before she could ever fully sit back and think about one thing, it was replaced with another thought. Her mind was always racing between thoughts. 24/7. It was probably why she always wanted to talk to people and couldn't seem to sit quietly. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing; it was just exhausting. It kept her awake at night and distracted during the day.

Right now, she just had to talk to somebody since she knew she probably wouldn't be getting any sleep either way. Her first thought was Susan, but after calling her, Madelyn realized she wasn't going to wake up. All Susan did was turn over and continue sleeping with a small groan. She tried Lucy after Susan, but Lucy did somewhat the same thing as her older sister.

Madelyn turned over onto her stomach with her face pressed into her pillow and groaned into it. If she could, she would've just stayed that way for the rest of the night, but she was still bored and at one point she couldn't breathe anymore. So she finally turned herself over on the bed feeling as if it was the most exhausting thing she'd ever done.

Madelyn sighed before sitting up and pushing the thin blanket off herself. She swung her legs off the bed and just sat there for a second with her head hanging before she swung her legs off the bed to have them meet the cold floor. She reached to the side in the dark, feeling around for her black boots. When she finally felt them to the right a bit far from her, she pulled them on and got up, quietly walking outside.

Madelyn was wearing a tight shirt and over-sized pants that were a few sizes too big. They clearly weren't made for her, but it didn't matter; she refused to wear a dress. It set her apart from Lucy and Susan who were usually wearing dresses, but Madelyn couldn't help it. Dresses were just not made for her.

The teenager desperately wanted someone to talk to but it looked like that wasn't going to happen for another few hours since everyone was asleep. She slowly walked past the field letting the breeze run through her hair. The breeze made everything feel pleasant. The sky was littered with bright stars shining down. It was a new sight since when she was in Finchley, the stars usually weren't visible since they were in the city. Over here though, the stars were clear and on display. There was the soft sound of crickets chirping in the dark and she could hear a few snores as she passed more tents where people were sleeping. After walking around a little, she neared the room in the How where the stone table was. Madelyn felt drawn to the room as if something was calling her there.

On her way down she grabbed a torch, not wanting to be alone in the dark. Madelyn walked down the steps and into the room and walked, dragging her hand lightly along the walls, looking at the carvings. They intrigued her and she all she wanted to do was learn more about them.