Chapter Ten

Madelyn woke with a gasp, shooting straight up into a sitting position. Her head whipped from side to side, looking around as she took quick breaths. The light blanket covering her body was balled up tightly in her fists and there was sweat running down her forehead. Her dark brown hair was matted on the back of her head from tossing and turning in her sleep. She thanked the lords she hadn't screamed, waking up Susan and Lucy. Madelyn was back in the sleeping quarters with Lucy and Susan still sleeping peacefully on either side of her. Madelyn took slow and deep breaths, trying to calm herself, contemplating going outside for a small walk in fresh air to clear her head, but ultimately decided against it. She felt as if she didn't have the energy to do even the smallest thing.

Madelyn lied back down on her back before turning to her left side. Her eyelids were heavy as she was exhausted from the previous day as well as not getting enough sleep the past few nights.

It was an odd feeling: wanting to sleep but not being able to. She hated it although there wasn't really anything she could do about it.

***

Madelyn was one of the first ones awake that morning, though it probably wasn't correct to use the word awake since she hadn't been able to sleep at all after her nightmare woke her up. All she could do was lie there for the next few hours until the sun started rising so that she could drag herself outside to take her mind off everything.

Madelyn was sitting in the grass with her back against a large oak tree. On any normal day, Edmund and she would've been training, although they'd decided a few days ago that they'd take a break on the day of the night raid so that they could get more sleep. Madelyn was a bit thankful that she didn't have to train for a couple of reasons. She wasn't quite ready to talk to him yet. Honestly, she didn't know how to speak to him after the last conversation they'd had. On top of that, her nightmare from the previous night had made talking to Edmund even harder. Every time she thought of him, she saw the Edmund from her dream. Although she knew that it wasn't the real Edmund, it still made her fairly uncomfortable. Madelyn kept worrying that he'd act as he had in her dream. She knew that she'd end up talking to him sooner or later since she missed talking to him, but she just needed some time.

Because of how early it was, the How was still quiet and peaceful. Not a lot were awake and she didn't expect to be approached by someone. Caspian was walking towards her with a small smile which she weekly returned. He sat down next to her before taking a short look at her.

"Wow, you look awful." He said this with a playful grin. Madelyn smacked his arm lightly with a chuckle of her own.

There was something about Caspian that gave her comfort. She had a feeling that she could trust him which was rare considering she had a hard time trusting people. If she was being honest, so far- although she had trusted people- she hadn't actually let anyone in. She kept her guard up. Even with Edmund. It was just how she was built; she was terrified of letting people in because she knew how easily they could leave, tearing her into a thousand little pieces. It was just easier to keep everyone at a slight distance. That way, if they left, she wouldn't break. She had made sure she wouldn't break like that ever again after the last time.

"Oh right, cause you look like little miss sunshine all the time." She said it with one of her classic eye rolls. Caspian cocked an eyebrow, laughing.

"I know I do. You don't have to be jealous." Madelyn rolled her eyes.

It was hard to believe that she was casually sitting in a field joking around with an actual prince. Honestly, she still had a hard time believing that she was even really in Narnia, although she knew it was no dream.