Chapter Forty

AN: Okay, so this chapter's a whole lot shorter than usual because it just worked better this way. But I am super excited about this chapter. You'll see why once you read it. I'll try to have the next chapter out as soon as possible.

"It was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen." These words woke her.

That voice.

It was such a familiar voice.

A voice of comfort.

A voice that made me feel safe. Yet the voice was laced with worry.

I couldn't place a name on it. It was just on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't tell who it was.

The next voice that came startled me. It wasn't just familiar; it was my own voice.

"Maybe you can take me there sometime." The voice- my voice- was weak as if I were sick.

"I'd love to take you there." It was the first voice again. And this time, I knew. It was Edmund.

Suddenly, the voices that I'd been hearing were gone. All that was left was complete silence and a small echo that I was fairly sure I was imagining.

A breath left my mouth. What would normally be a soft sound was so loud in the silence. I opened my eyes with no clue where I would be.

When my eyes opened, all I saw for a few moments was darkness. At first I suspected that I'd gone blind. Except after blinking a few times, I was able to make out the outline of trees and bushes around me. It was nighttime.

My muscles ached and when I pushed myself up to my feet, my joints popped as if I hadn't moved in years.

For the first time in a while, my mind was silent. No thoughts, no voices. Just silence.

I just walked. It was as if there was a path made for me through the forest as I walked. It went on an on.

"I hate you. So much. Do you enjoy annoying me?" It was my own voice again. The voice came out of nowhere, startling me. I looked around, but only found an empty forest.

"Anyways, as I was saying before Madelyn... fell, that means those same men aren't protecting his castle." I didn't know this voice. It wasn't one that I immediately recognized. However within a split second, the name "Peter" was on my tongue. And not long after that, an image came into my head. An image of a boy- not too much older than me- with blonde hair. And within a second, I already knew him.

"What do you propose we do, your Majesty?" This voice was one I recognized again. It was Reepicheep.

"We need to get ready for it." This was Peter's voice again. But at the same time, another voice spoke that I recognized as Caspian's.

"To start planning for..."

Once again, the voices went away as if they'd never even been there. However, this time, new voices replaced them quicker than they had last time.

The new voices also brought something else with them. They brought a restlessness. My heart thumped in my chest and my stomach had butterflies.

"I know how to get answer and don't think for even a second that I'll hesitate to do everything I have to do." The voice sent shivers up my spine and made me want to run.

Miraz. The name came to mind and I wished I could forget it again.

There was a laugh. A cold laugh that I recognized instantly as my own.

"I'm sorry, it's just that up close, you're a lot uglier than you are from far away."

"You have one last chance. Tell me everything you know." It was clear from the voice that he was getting frustrated.

"Yeah, and what are you gonna do if I don't tell you? Kill me? Have fun." The second the sentence ended, a bloodcurdling scream pierced through the air. One that made me stop in my tracts and take a shaky breath.

"Cakes and kettledrums! That's your next big plan? Sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest? Alone?"

Trumpkin.

"It's our only chance"

"And she won't be alone."

Susan? The memory of the older Pevensie sister made me smile. She had been and always would be one of the best friends I had ever made. Yet, until this very moment, I had no idea who she was.

Then, silence once again until another voice interrupted it.

"Madelyn," this voice was one I knew better than any other. It was Aslan.

"I'm no queen."

"No, you're more than a queen to Narnia. Rise, child."

One after another, different memories came to mind, reminding me of everything. Every single thing. Then, the memory that finished everything. The one that changed things.

"I- um. I really like you," it was Edmund's voice again. It was followed by a small laugh that was my own.

"Really? I never would've known," my voice again.

"I do too, dummy." And once the voices were gone, all that was left was silence. Silence as she continued walking through the dark forest.

<Forty-One: Preview>

"Needle in a haystack, trying to find this Ramandu place. We could sail right past it and off the edge of the world." Drinian spoke with a melancholic tone.

"Or get eaten by a sea serpent," Edmund muttered under his breath without the usual sarcasm that his words carried. Caspian lifted his gaze to glance at Edmund. He couldn't decide how to feel about anything.