Chapter Forty-Four

AN: Yayy! Another early chapter! I hope everyone likes this one!

Between being on the ship constantly and the gloomy weather, it was getting increasingly dreary.

The only thing that made it remotely bearable was that she had a lot of time on her hands to spend with Lucy, Caspian, and especially Edmund. Madelyn and Edmund spent almost all of their time together and she didn't mind it one bit.

She had been standing on the upper deck in a small corner that overlooked the ocean. Her head rested on the railing as a small yawn left her mouth. Every now and then, she would feel the ocean lightly spray a mist at her.

Just as she closed her eyes, a voice spoke from behind her.

"There you are. I've been looking for you everywhere." She didn't have to turn to know that the voice belonged to Edmund.

He walked up to the railing, standing next to her. She moved a bit closer to him, resting her head on his shoulder.

"What are you doing here?" He asked her, smiling slightly as she put her head on his shoulder.

"I'm sleepy." She mumbled just loud enough for him to hear her. Although he didn't say it aloud, he was worried.

"Do you want to talk about them?" He didn't have to say the work to know that he was talking about the nightmares that had been keeping her awake at night.

"It's always Miraz. Ever since I got my memories back. But they're not just nightmares. They feel real. The other night, I heard his voice and I saw him. I don't even remember walking all the way up to the upper deck." She said it, perfectly calmly as if it didn't even bother her, but the way she said it worried him even further.

"Something's messing with our minds," Edmund said under his breath, frustrated.

Madelyn lifted her head off his shoulder and turned her body to face him with a small smile, "I'm fine. It's just this stupid... whatever it is that's messing with us." Edmund turned, looking at the girl with a small smile.

"I really missed you. That one year in Narnia after you left." She said.

"I did too. You know how you kissed me before I left?" Madelyn nodded.

"Well, Peter, Susan, and Lucy didn't stop talking about it for the longest time. They had the time of their lives teasing me." Madelyn laughed.

"Caspian too. He wouldn't stop asking about it. Of course, he shut up after I asked him about Susan." She tilted her head to the side, remembering it.

"I didn't really mind though. It was kind of nice." Edmund smirked at her, making Madelyn feel her cheeks heat up just a bit.

"Just kind of nice?" She asked him, acting as if she were offended.

"I guess I just don't remember it too well." She looked at him laughing.

"Too bad." She said, still laughing. He was also starting to laugh.

Edmund wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her closer finally letting his lips meet hers.

Her hand went to the back of his neck and smiled into the kiss as he turned her slightly so that her back was against the railing and he was in front of her.

***

In the past day, the storms had eased considerably from the days before.

Finally, when Madelyn started to wonder whether they would ever find land, they did. She was ecstatic to finally get off the ship.

From the ship, the island seemed to be completely uninhabited with no sign of the lords ever even being there. However, they had to check.