Chapter Seventeen

She found Edmund sitting at the edge of a river a little away from the How. By the time she got to him, the sky was already darkening to a deep purple. It had taken her time to get away from Caspian and the rest of the Pevensies. Well actually, it was Caspian and Peter that were difficult to get away from. The two kept nagging on her to get back in a bed and get some rest which- at this point- was the last thing she wanted to do. They kept insisting that to heal fully, it was important for her to let her body rest, which made sense, but Madelyn wanted to talk to Edmund.

He'd heard her coming from the crunching of the grass under her boots, but he didn't move to look at her until she was sitting next to him. She was the first to speak.

"Hey," Her voice was soft, but in the silence of the peaceful evening, it could be heard from all the way across the field. The breeze had become just a bit colder than it had been a few hours ago, making her shiver ever so slightly in her delicate white dress.

Before Edmund could even begin to respond though, she was already speaking again.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said. I know you didn't just walk away from there. I just-" She probably would've rambled on the rest of the evening if he hadn't cut her off there.

"No, it was my fault. I don't even know why I started yelling at you." Madelyn looked into his eyes, chuckling.

"Okay, so what if we put that behind us and start over as if I just woke up." Edmund's lips curved into a smile as he nodded.

"I like that idea. Oh, and by the way, you know that little stunt you pulled back there with the wooden plank and fire?" For a second, Madelyn cringed a little thinking he was angry, yet he was anything but angry.

"That was the coolest thing I've ever seen." Madelyn's eyebrows drew in as she laughed a little.

"Thanks," The smile didn't leave her face as she subtly moved just a little closer to him.

"Wait, shouldn't you be in bed right now?" Madelyn slumped down a little letting out a groan.

"Edmund, I swear if you start acting like Caspian and Peter, I am going to get up and leave right now." Madelyn hadn't intended it to be funny, but it was evident in his laugh that Edmund didn't care about her intent.

He took one good look at her before taking a deep breath. "Well, they're not wrong you know. You don't exactly look too good right now Parker."

"Are you calling me ugly Eddie?" To Edmund, she was anything but ugly. Of course, Edmund being the way he was, he wouldn't dare say that to her face. So instead he just chuckled.

"No, I mean that you look exhausted." Edmund shifted a little to face her. His eyes drew down to her neck where there was a long bandage that stretched down and across her collarbone. Right now the wound was hidden under a bandage, but Edmund knew it was absolutely awful. When he got her back from the Telmarine castle, it hadn't stopped bleeding and he could only imagine how painful it was. As he looked at the bandage, anger boiled in him.

With everything going on in Edmund's head, Madelyn barely noticed. "Well I am a bit tired, but that's what the nighttime is for." Her smile was bright and positive. Something that you wouldn't expect of someone whose body was covered in various wounds and bruises. She reached up, rubbing her arm a little, trying to warm it.

"Are you cold?" Before she could even begin to answer, he had already pulled his coat off, wrapping it around her.

Madelyn let out a breathy laugh before speaking, "So I had a dream." Her mind went back to the odd dream she'd had where she spoke to Aslan. Since she'd woken up, she dream had been in the back of her mind the entire time, pushing to get out. She had to tell someone about it and every time she thought about it, her mind went straight to Edmund.