Chapter Thirteen

Madelyn had always loved to read. It was the best way to escape the reality of her boring life and go into a different world where her life wasn't just going to school in England. Where her life was exciting and adventurous. She supposed that she prayed for her life to become exciting so much that her wish came true.

It makes sense though. Even the best things in life hold pain. She couldn't have a life of excitement and adventure without the possibility of getting hurt or even dying.

It felt as if someone was hitting her head repeatedly with a hammer except multiplied by ten. She'd had migraines before, but nothing had ever felt like this and the cherry on top of the sundae was that it wasn't just her head. Her entire body ached like nothing else and all she could hear was a high pitched ringing that hadn't gone away since the night before.

She couldn't open her eyes. She didn't know why, but she did have a few theories.

Maybe she didn't have the energy to open her eyes. Or maybe she didn't want to open her eyes because she was scared of what she'd see. Now her third theory- the craziest of them all- was that maybe, just maybe, her eyes had been glued shut; they definitely felt glued shut.

She didn't know it was possible to even feel this way. She was in so much pain that she wanted to scream, but at the same time, her entire body felt numb. She tried to wiggle her fingers, but even though she was pretty sure they were moving, she couldn't feel them.  Now by no means did she have any medical background, but she was pretty sure the numbness in her fingers wasn't a good sign.

The single feeling that she had was a bad one. She felt awfully cold as if she was sitting on ice. Her left cheek was pressed against what felt like a cold and hard concrete floor.

All she wanted to do was lie there and fall back asleep. Maybe that would take the pain away, but even she knew that there was no way she would be able to fall asleep. Madelyn dreadfully opened her eyes, having to blink a few times to clear her vision. It felt like her eyelashes had gained a few pounds, making it difficult to open her eyes. She moved her hand- which was resting on the concrete floor next to her head- down to her shirt, weakly, dragging it over the fabric which was stiff with dried blood. She looked around as much as she could without moving her entire body. She was in a cell, probably down in the dungeons of the Telmarine castle. The concrete floor she was sitting on was a drab gray and had thin cracks running through.

Madelyn tried to recollect everything she remembered, but after a certain point last night, everything became a little fuzzy. After she fell unconscious, she remembered the feeling of hands grabbing and lifting her. She'd floated in and out of consciousness for a few minutes. There were flashes of lights, voices, and hands carrying her. Obviously, the hands touching her hadn't even given a single thought to be gentle because she clearly remembered pain with every touch. This brought a thought to her mind. Why was she kept alive? They'd killed the rest of the Narnians, so why was she still here? Were any of the other Narnians still alive?

The wound on her side still ached like hell. The arrow in her shoulder had been pulled out but now it was left an open wound and there was a small pool of blood around her torso. As she reached the back of her head, she felt her hair which was matted with blood where she'd been hit the day before. The night before, it'd been up in a tight ponytail, however now, it was out and messier than she thought it could get. She didn't know why she was there, but she did know one thing.

If she was left like this for too long, there was no way she could even have a small chance of survival. How could she? There was no shortage of open wounds on her body that could easily get infected. On top of that, she hadn't put any food or water in her mouth in so long, her body didn't have any way to heal.