Chapter Fifteen

Dreams have always confused me. They could mean everything in the world. You could learn something from them, remember something, or feel something new. But that's not always the case. They could also be completely and utterly useless. I often wondered what my dreams meant, although I'd always come up short. My dreams were always pretty much worthless. All the dreams really did was terrorize me to no end, and if you ask me, I don't think that's entirely necessary.

Every night before I fell asleep the only thing I could do was pray that it would be a dreamless night. Having dreams often just left me even for exhausted than I'd been before I went to sleep because they were never just dreams; they were nightmares.

When I opened my eyes, the gold sun was shining down all around me bathing my surroundings in a glistening gold glow. There was a delicate breeze blowing through the thickets of trees surrounding me. The breeze gently blew my hair back. It was nice and cool.

The first thing I noticed when I looked down was my skin. All of my wounds and scars were no longer there and had been replaced with radiant medium olive skin. All of my exhaustion was gone and I felt at peace.

Looking around me, I saw that I was in a beautiful forest. There were a wide array of flowers growing in the lush green grass, interrupting the green with splotches of pink, yellow, blue, and almost every other color I could name. The trees surrounding me seemed to be dancing in the fresh breeze and they looked... alive. I was wearing a delicate white dress that ended right above my knees. Normally I would've complained about the dress, but at this moment, it felt like the most comfortable thing I'd ever worn.

The sky above me was a bright, cloudless blue. My lips turned up into a smile as I took a few steps through the trees. The grass felt soft under my bare feet. In all of my memories from when I was younger, the one thing I remember is how vivid all the colors in the world were. It seemed that the older I got, the duller the world became. 

This forest, however, had the beautiful color of my childhood.

I kept moving forward as I let my mind wander. I wondered whether I had died. I had no idea where I was, but it didn't seem to bother me. The truth was, at this moment I felt at peace. It was a feeling that I hadn't felt in Aslan knows how long; maybe never. A place so beautiful could only exist in Narnia. The only sounds were of the grass crunching under my feet and the sweet chirping of birds. Taking a deep breath, there was the calming scent of fresh air and grass.

All I wanted to do was keep walking and walking through the forest. I came to a stop as I heard the sound of running water and approached a small pond. The water was a bright blue and seemed to sparkle under the sun. I bent my knees, sitting down at the edge of the pond, dipping my feet in, feeling the cool water submerging from my feet up to my lower calves. The water washed away everything bad. All my worries, pain, fears seemed to disappear. I felt like this was a place where I could sit forever without ever getting bored.

As I sat there in bliss, I heard what sounded like footsteps. I looked to the side just as someone sat down next to me. Although when I looked, I realized it wasn't a person. It was a magnificent lion whose eyes held wisdom and all the answers in the world.

Aslan.

My smile grew wider. Looking at the lion, I felt safe. It was even more than I'd imagined from what Lucy had told me. At that moment I felt content.

"Aslan." My voice was soft and full.

He looked at me with a smile.

"Madelyn. I'm proud of you, my child." I smiled. Suddenly, my mind was filled with questions for him. He said he was proud of me, but for what? What had I done that brought pride.