Chapter Twenty-Four

AN: So these next few chapters are going to be a lot shorter than my usual chapters, just because there isn't too much going on. I know that this chapter took really long. I actually had something completely different planned for this chapter, but when I started writing it I realized that it didn't fit in and it made the storyline a bit jumbled.

The funny thing was, one of the first things Lucy had told Madelyn after they first met was that she and Edmund would be cute together. Back then, she'd shook her head in disgust just thinking about the idea. Yet just a few short weeks after, Lucy's words had come true and this time, instead of disgust, there were butterflies in her stomach and all she could think about was seeing him.

Lucy would be ecstatic when she found out. Of course, nobody even knew yet. Madelyn and Edmund had a collective understanding that telling everyone could wait a few days. They didn't need to say it out loud, they'd both just decided on it silently.

That entire night, she could barely fall asleep. Kissing Edmund was something that she definitely hadn't expected. In fact, until the night before she pushed her feelings away by telling herself that there was no way she felt it. Despite that, the moment he kissed her, she knew she couldn't deny it and when he told her he liked her, the words "I like you too" came out of her mouth so easily.

Even though she'd barely slept, she felt fully rested in the morning. With her newly improved mood, things that usually bothered her no longer did. She had no issues wearing the deep emerald dress that she would ordinarily cringe at.

The next thing on her mind that morning was breakfast. Luckily, that was exactly what was next on the agenda.

As she walked into the room, she saw that other than her, everyone was already seated at the table. There was one last chair open, right next to Edmund, just as she'd hoped. Right as she sat down, Edmund leaned over and whispered into her ear, letting his nose lightly brush against her cheek.

"Late again? Were you busy thinking about me?" He wasn't wrong. She was almost always the last one to sit down at the table. The smirk he gave her then, was different than all the other ones he'd given her. This one had a heightened sense of victory because deep inside, Edmund knew he was right.

"You wish." Though she denied it, she had to admit, he wasn't completely wrong.

"Madelyn, you look different." This came from Lucy, who had an inquisitive look on her face. When she said this, Susan, Peter, and Caspian all turned to look at her.

"You do look really happy. What's going on?" As the words came out of his mouth, Edmund's amusement only grew.

"Me? Have you ever seen Edmund smile this much?" Right as she said it, Edmund's smirk changed to an amused glare. Every face that was looking at her, turned to Edmund.

"I'm having a good day. I slept well last night." Peter seemed to sense that something weird was going on between the two so he chose to change the subject.

***

"Ed, I really think you've met your match." Her breath was heavy and there was a smirk on her face. The wind was blowing, making her hair whip from left to right. She stood with her sword against his neck. She'd backed him up against a tree and his sword was laying a few feet behind them.

"You just got lucky." He looked right into her hazel eyes that burned with adrenaline. His breaths were just as heavy, but he had a plan in mind.

"Yeah, you keep saying that." Her nose was almost close enough to touch his as she subtly looked him up and down with one eyebrow slightly raised.

Edmund didn't take his eyes off her for a second, making sure to keep her attention on his face. Without making a single sound he moved his arm. Right as she opened her mouth to speak, his arm wrapped around her waist. He turned her around so that he had her pinned against the tree. While he turned her, his other hand grabbed the sword from her hand. Within a split second, he had her pinned the same way she had him pinned just a second ago. A small gasp left her mouth.

He leaned closer to her, whispering into her ear. "Remember, you get distracted, you lose." His breath tickled her neck. She rolled her eyes at him- something she was starting to think she did way too much with him. He leaned in, giving her a small peck on the lips.

Her nose scrunched up in annoyance as she pushed him off her.

"You know I won."

"Are you sure about that? I am the one who ended up with the sword." He raised the sword slightly, glancing at it.

"Whatever." She narrowed her eyes slightly, but the small smile on her face and the butterflies in her stomach were an easy giveaway that she was nowhere close to annoyed at him.

<Chapter Twenty-Five: Preview>

What she didn't know, was that as he held her it wasn't only her nightmares that went away. His went away too.

That night, neither of them would have any nightmares.