Chapter Thirty-Five

Their screams echoed off the walls as they were dragged away in shackles. At one point, Madelyn stopped screaming, leaving only the heart-wrenching screams of Lucy who desperately called out for her older brother. It wasn't that she'd completely lost hope, but she just didn't see the point I'm screaming.

The man who was pulling Madelyn along seemed to be enjoying it more than anything. In fact, every few moments, he would yank her chains, making her stumble forward and almost fall. Each time she stumbled, he let out a small chuckle, making her clench her jaw in anger.

It wasn't long before Madelyn was chained to a wall, right in the middle of Lucy and Eustace. Eustace never stopped muttering complaints about how he was uncomfortable and that the British consul would hear of this. Every now and then, when he thought Madelyn and Lucy couldn't hear him, he'd let out a whimper in fear. Although she didn't particularly love the boy just yet, she felt for him.

Out of any of them, Lucy had the most faith. Her hopeful eyes, jumped around at the scene, expecting someone to come. Maybe Reepicheep or maybe even Edmund.

Madelyn's mind went back to Edmund who she'd last seen before she was dragged out. She remembered the fire that burned behind his eyes as he yelled for the men to get of Madelyn and Lucy. The thing that still surprised Madelyn was how easily she'd called out for Edmund without a doubt. Even though she barely knew him, his was the first name that came to her mind when she was in trouble.

Lucy turned her head to look at Madelyn. Behind all the optimism, Madelyn could see fear. She spoke with a very slightly wavering voice that she tried to keep strong. "Do you think Edmund and Caspian are alright?" The worry was evident in her voice and although Madelyn didn't really know the answer, all she wanted to do was to calm Lucy.

Madelyn paused for a second, caught off guard. "They'll be just fine. If I've learned anything about them since I got here, it's that they're strong." Madelyn gave the girl a small reassuring smile. She tried her best to hide her own apprehension to calm the young queen. More than Lucy, Madelyn was trying to convince herself.

Anger boiled in Madelyn as she looked at the fear in Lucy's eyes. The girl was one that had never wished pain for anyone and yet she was still going through this.

Deep inside, Madelyn knew it would be best for her to stay discreet until she got her best chance, but looking at Lucy, she couldn't hold herself back.

"Hey! Let us go!" Madelyn called out to the guard who stood a few meters in front of them. He turned to look at Madelyn, rolled his eyes, and turned back away. He looked at her as if she were dirt on the bottom of his shoe and that made her blood boil.

"What? Are you afraid? Of course, you are. We're children and you're a fully grown man with weapons and you still have to keep us chained." Madelyn went on, trying to get on the man's nerves. Quite honestly, Madelyn didn't really have a plan in mind, she just couldn't sit there quietly.

"Why don't you let me go, you-" Madelyn was cut off by Lucy who lightly elbowed her, shaking her head. Madelyn sighed defeatedly, shutting her mouth. She didn't know where she was going with it, but it was just her first instinct.

***

A scream pierced through the silence, making Madelyn's head whip up in that direction. Madelyn couldn't yet see where the screams were coming from since they were behind her, but she could make out a few words.

"Mummy!" From the sound of the voice, Madelyn guessed this came from a little girl. Madelyn could hear screams, grunts, and the clicking of horse hooves on the ground. Each sound made Madelyn even more intrigues as to what was going on.