Chapter Twenty-Seven

The next few days after the Pevensies left, Madelyn felt odd. She'd never been in Narnia without them and now that they weren't there, something felt off. 

She'd been spending a lot of time with Caspian and quite honestly, it was nice. It was like she'd known him her entire life and he really had become the typical older brother. 

Madelyn began learning more and more about Narnia and although she wasn't officially a queen, she did a lot of work behind the scenes. It was honestly the way she liked it.

"Are you going to spend all your time in the library?" Madelyn turned to see Caspian standing at the door of the library. It was partly true. She had been spending all her time in the library lately.

"I like it here." Madelyn shrugged, putting her book down and looking at Caspian.

"Yeah, well I'd like to see my cousin more often. " He sat down in the chair next to her.

"Maybe you should spend more time in the library too then," Madelyn smirked slightly.

"I would, but it's so dark and gloomy in here." He threw his arms up dramatically, making Madelyn laugh.

"No, it isn't. In fact, it's cozier in here." She raised an eyebrow at him.

"Fine, you win. I'll just sit in here with you." Madelyn smiled in triumph.

***

It had been about six months since the Pevensies left Narnia and things had already changed. Caspian had really started to grow into his role as King. In those six months, he had already become a completely different person than the Caspian that the Pevensies had last seen. 

Caspian had appointed his private council of which Madelyn was a member. Madelyn had also been knighted by him soon later. 

It had been a couple of days since Caspian had left for Archenland to pursue an alliance. Madelyn stayed back, being partly in charge while he was gone. 

***

About a year after the Pevensies had left, Caspian had achieved strong alliances with Archenland and Telmar. Caspian and Madelyn were working towards peace together to ensure that Narnians wouldn't have to go through what they had before. 

They were doing rather well until they started having problems with the Northern Giants. 

A war with the Northern Giants. That's what it took to resolve the conflict. In the end, the Narnians had emerged successful. 

***

Two years. It had been two years since the Pevensies had gone back. In that time, Madelyn had become an even better warrior. She was trained by Glenstorn in various activities that mainly included sword fighting. One thing that Madelyn was unable to master though, was the bow and arrow. Somehow, no matter how much she practiced, she just could not do it right. Madelyn had found that she did well in the court, solving any issues. It was tiring work, but she had a penchant for it.

In a way, it had become easier to live without the Pevensies. In another way, it had become more difficult. Difficult, because she had started to realize that even though she knew that Edmund and Lucy would return, she had no idea when. It could be that very day, or it could even be after ten years, and that killed her.