chapter eleven

Oakland's pov

Play Mango by Peach Tree Rascals

"You've never surfed before?" Harry asked as I was straddling the board.

Harry asked me this morning if my sister and I wanted to hang out, and of course I said yes. He came over to pick us up, but stayed for breakfast with my family. I was much more calm this time, because I think my dad is warming up to Harry. Once, we left my house, we went over to his, and went out on the beach with Mitch and Sarah. I really enjoy them, and they are such a cute couple. His whole team is full of wonderful people, and they are all so kind and welcoming to me. We've been hanging out on the beach all day, until Harry pulled me up from the beach chair and grabbed his surfboard. He said something about the water being perfect for surfing and begged me to try, even though I tried to warn him that I've never done such a thing. I usually keep the whole vacation thing strictly to sunbathing, and getting in the ocean to cool off.

"Nope, and I am just letting you know that I will probably fail miserably." I tell him. He is perched with his elbows on one side of the board, while staying in the water, looking up at me.

"I'll teach you, I'm sure you'll be fine

"I'll teach you, I'm sure you'll be fine." he reassures me, but I hardly believe him. He tells me to stand up on the board to practice my stance, and I follow his lead. I stood up with shaky legs, trying to find my balance. "Good! See it isn't that hard." he says.

"Harry, the water is calm right now. This is easy." I deadpanned. He smirked at my words, and ducked underwater. The next thing I knew, I was being flipped off the board and into the water. Once I reemerged, I splashed him with water. "Harry!" I hollarded. "Not. Cool." I warned him as I swam up next to him.

"Cmon, it was funny." he pesters. I rolled my eyes at his response, and climbed back on the board. He got on with me, sitting to face me straight on. I leaned on my palms, getting closer to him. He leaned in to kiss me, but I pulled back an inch.

"Are you going to teach me how to surf or not?" I said, leading him on.

"Oh cmon, don't be a tease." he shot back. I raised my eyebrows, testing him, and I pushed him off the board. He gaped at me, pushing his soaking hair back out of his face. "Oh you'll regret that."

"You pulled me away from tanning, so you have to live up to your promises, Harry." I flirted. He narrowed his eyes at me, and went back to helping me. We stayed in the water for about an hour, trying to teach me how to surf, but I was helpless. "Harry, we are getting nowhere. Time to accept that I can't do this." I huffed out, tired from falling in the water so many times.

"Oh, Oakland." he shook his head. He knew I was right, but didn't want to admit it. We were back to sitting across from each other, looking into one another's eyes. The sun made his eyes seem a brighter shade of green, and his tanned skin glowed under the light. "You look beautiful." he told me in his intoxicating accent.