chapter thirty nine

A/N: the POV changes a few times in this chapter, so I recommend paying attention to that, and also the dates before each part! it makes a lot more sense!

Harry's POV

March 12th, 2021

Exactly two months until the album drops.

Two months until I get to put my feelings out into the world.

Two months until I get to show the rest of humanity what Oakland has done for me.

The final touches are going into the album, and I am having the cover shoot today. We've had a few photo shoots done, but nothing has felt right. I know we are getting down to the last minutes, but I want it to be perfect.

Along with that, I have to sign off on the order of the songs also. I gave the team a basic skeleton for what I want, but today I am going in to give everyone the thumbs up.

As I pour my second cup of black coffee for the day, my phone buzzes from my back pocket. My heart still leaps, even though the hope is dwindling out that she will call.

It's been six months; half a year.

We would go back and forth over the phone for about two months, but then she just stopped reaching out. I couldn't figure out why, but I never stopped trying with her. It was scarce, but she would respond to messages and such for the next few months, but once October hit, she disappeared from my life.

We haven't fully spoken since she went away.

It wasn't until the new year that we found out why. I say "we", because it was actually Sarah who accumulated the information. Byerly had called her over holiday, and one thing led to another, and Sarah was in New York within the next week. It was right after we finished recording for the last time before the new year, so she took off to explore the city.

We were all back in L.A. when Sarah got back. She sat me down on the couch of my apartment, a stoic look in her eyes. She explained everything.

Byerly's POV

October 10th, 2020

The constant buzzing of my phone woke me up. I thought it was a part of my dream, but once I disabled the bomb that I thought was making the noise, I realised that I needed to wake up. I groaned, leaning over right as the buzzing stopped.

The screen flashed that it was 3am, making me roll my eyes, but stopped halfway through when the buzzing picked up once again.

It was mom.

I sighed, answering with my brows furrowed, confused as to why she was calling this early in the morning.

"Hello?" I spoke into the speaker, my voice groggy from the night out that I had just gotten home from less than two hours ago.

"Byerly!" she rushed. "Dad just bought you a flight home. It's in two hours. Get home now."

Her frantic words caused my heart rate to spike, but they weren't clearing anything up as to why I was needed home.

"Wait, why?" I asked.

"It's Grams."

My body ran cold. I mean that is one way to get me to wake up. I've never jumped out of bed so fast. I ran over to my tiny closet, sliding open the door, and instantly began throwing random clothes into a carry-on sized bag.

I didn't even realise that I forgot to end the call with my mother until I heard the line disconnect from where my phone laid on my bed.

I grabbed a pair of sneakers, hopping out of my room and into the kitchen, trying to get my shoes on. I grabbed a random piece of paper on the counter, scribbling down where I would be so that my roommates wouldn't wonder.