chapter thirty seven

The moon had changed spots with the sun. Flooding the room with almost a burning white light, I squinted as my eyes burned behind my eyelids. My room looked different as my eyes blinked open.

Not a thing has changed around me, but it just... feels different. Is it the room? Or is it me?

Definitely me.

There is something to say about the way someone can make you feel. Within less than two weeks, Harry entering my life has completely changed how I could ever view life. So much that I don't even feel like I belong in my own room anymore.

Harry feels more like home than the house I've always lived in.

I reached for my phone, remembering Harry and I falling asleep on call. I clicked it on, seeing that there was no call anymore, but a message.

'Good morning, Love. had to go but didn't want to wake you.'

There is a sting in my chest over the fact that this is as good as it gets. Phone calls, text messages.

Will I ever see him again?

I responded, wishing there was a way to really be with him.

Huffing, I smushed my head back into the pillows littering my bed, trying to go back to sleep. I'm slowly drifting off, but shocked back awake by the bird that lives outside my window squawking.

I sat up, letting out a hefty sigh, and throwing my legs over the side of the bed. I brought myself up, making my way over to the window, and sliding it open.

Eye to eye, this bird and I have a stare off. He has sat outside my window for the past six months, and every morning, if I am not up by nine O'clock, he makes sure I don't sleep anymore.

"Oh how I've missed you, Gerald." I speak to him.

He caws back and I just roll my eyes, slamming down the window.

I decided, since I am awake now, I might as well have some coffee. Down the stairs, I see the pot of coffee still has about a mug left from what my parents already drank earlier.

After I pour a cup, I sit at the island. There is a written note on the back of a random envelope.

Dad and I went to the hospital. Come when y'all wake up. Love you. Mom.

I wasn't ready, this early in the morning, to begin to grieve. But here we are.

In the grand room, Byerly sits there mindlessly flipping through the channels on the TV. I walked up, sitting down in the chair next to the couch.

She flinched. "Good lord," she huffed. "I didn't see you walk in." she clutched her chest.

"What are you watching?" I asked.

"I don't even know, yet. But we need to leave soon to go see Grams." she responded.

I nod, but my suitcase caught my eye in the corner of the room, perched next to the front door with my backpack slouched on top.

"I know, but I have something I need to do first." I said, standing up, leaving my half drunk cup of coffee on the side table.

I grabbed my backpack, going straight up the stairs and into my room. I ignored my suitcase, knowing it would take too much out of me to bring it up the stairs after I'd just woken up. It will be a two-man job for later.

Opening my door, I made sure I shut it behind me all the way, not wanting it to drift open and act as an open invitation for B to just waltz in.

I lightly tossed my backpack on my unmade bed, yet again wanting to save any sort of labor for a later time. The comforter may be half hanging off the edge of my bed, and a few of the many pillows are scattered on the floor, but I'll save that for another time.